Thread: Whirlwinds and Typhoons at No. 263

Thanks

Default Whirlwinds and Typhoons at No. 263

I was just looking over some details of one of my subjects and noticed that his loss in Apr 43 in a Whirlwind was after the introduction of Typhoons in Sep 42. Can anyone detail for me how the new a/c were introduced? I know the RAF were particular about keeping one type per squadron to avoid maintenance complications but these dates indicate they had both types on station for a good six months at least.

I read through some of Jeff Beaumont's wonderful site on 263 but I didn't notice mention of Typhoons in the period I am researching.
    David

Thanks

Hi Dave
    You might check your sources.According to C G Jefford's RAF Squadrons, 263 had Typhoons(Mk Ib) only from Dec 1943.He records Dec '43 as the end of the Whirlwind on that Sqn. It is not totally clear from the book but it seems that the last use of the Whirlwind was at Warmwell in Dec '43 with the Sqn starting it's use of Typhoons from 5 Dec '43 at Ibsley.
    Hope this doesn't confuse matters
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Oh, drat, Dick. My source was impeccable - it's Ross's table of Fighter Command locations for No. 263. Problem is, I didn't notice the "12/43" in the margin next to the Typhoon note, which is opposite the line for Warmwell, Dorset 13/09/42. Probably an html code glitch, but it is noted as you say.

Thanks for unconfusing me.
    David

Thanks

Hi Dave
    Whatever your age-Welcome to the Senior Moments Society!! I do things like that all the time!
    All the best
    Dick

Thanks

Not yet 60 - but my wife keeps reminding me it's only three years off whenever I have one of those moments!
    David