Thread: Edward Sniders, "Flying In and Walking Out"

Thanks

Default Edward Sniders, "Flying In and Walking Out"

Hello Again all,

Apparently Edward Sniders was the pilot of a 139 Squadron Mosquito which came down at the end of July 1943, at Veghel, the Netherlands. He wrote a book about his experiences, titled as above.

Does anyone know how his aircraft came to grief?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thanks

Mosquito DZ458 27-28 July 1943.

Thanks

Default Sniders

Not very helpful I know, but if you Google the book title and look up some of the precis' and reviews, some say he was 'shot down' but another I saw said the a/c suffered a 'catastrophic mechanical failure'.

Hopefully someone wil have a copy of the book and be able to set the record straight for you.

Ian

Thanks

This reviewer reveals that it was a mechanical failure (probably engine?):

"...July 28, 1943, when he was forced to parachute into enemy territory after his plane experiences catastrophic mechanical problems."

http://www.largeprintreviews.com/flyingin.html

I have also put the question to the experts at Mossie.org.
    David

Thanks

Many thanks gents. There was a claim for a Mosquito on the 27th by a German night-fighter, I was trying to figure out if it was this one. Apparently not - perhaps a 605 Sqn machine, lost on the 26th/27th.

Thanks again all,

Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxt View Post
    Hello Again all,

Apparently Edward Sniders was the pilot of a 139 Squadron Mosquito which came down at the end of July 1943, at Veghel, the Netherlands. He wrote a book about his experiences, titled as above.

Does anyone know how his aircraft came to grief?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
    On his way to Duisburg, with Squadron Leader Price along to test current night radar capabilities; ten minutes from the target, the port engine started to fail. When he tried to feather the propeller, it just windmilled. They carried on to finish the mission anyway, but soon after, the vibration started a fire. Extinguisher put it out, but a few minutes later it restarted. Price bailed out at aprox 10,000', and shortly after (having struggled very hard because of his parachute in the close confines,) Sniders followed [their mossie was already in a dive]...he thought he was the first Mosquito pilot to successfully bail out.... [this 'windmilling' thing had happened to my father when they were shot down over Wilhelmshaven in W4069...Unfortunately, when they tried to feather it, the OTHER engine feathered!]
    Last edited by Simon Addinsell; 14th June 2013 at 17:53. Reason: spelling