Thread: PoW - Bomber Command - 1941

Thanks

Default PoW - Bomber Command - 1941

Sgt R.J. STAPLETON - 1375337 baled out or was thrown off a Hampden aircraft of 83 Squadron 23/24-12-1941 on a raid to Cologne and became PoW (Camps 7A/383/L7 - PoW nrs 142 and also 90143). The bomber returned to U.K. safely. Who has access to the ORB and could inform me on the a/c serial number ?
    Regards and thanks.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Unless I am missing something here he is not mentioned in the ORB for those dates. If you wish to PM me your e mail I can forward you a copy.

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks

Dear Henk
    I have looked in the Hampden File (Moyle) and can find no reference to this one even though there are several other similar one man bale outs by 83 Squadron crewmen. There is nothing obvious in the 83 Squadron history (Low & Harper). Of course as the aircraft was not lost there is nothing in Chorley either. I am guessing that the info you gave is from "Footsteps..." (Clutton-Brock)
    Interesting to note that Middlebrook & Everitt give no losses for that night, but Chorley lists two Wellington crews. Still doesn't help in the search for your man.
    Maybe there is something on his POW repatriation form in the NA at Kew.
    I will keep my eyes open on this one for you.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Dear Russ
    Do you have a copy of 83's ORB?
    Yours hopefully
    James

Thanks

Hi James,

Yes, covering 1940, 41 and 42.

Russ

Thanks

Gents,
    Yes my info came from "Footprints..." (Clutton-Brock). Maybe the info on 83 Sqn is incorrect ?
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Dear Henk
    Footprints is a very good book. O C-B has done a huge amount of work and should be congratuladed on it. I am hoping Father Christmasa will bring me his latest book! There are some mistakes in it though these are not necessarily his mistakes. Many books do have typos in them.
    However there is no reason not to think that your man was not 83. Maybe an email to the RAF AHB could clear up things. They may also be able to tell you the serial number.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Stapleton is not mentioned in Chorley Vol 2 under 83 Sqn,in the section at the end that he devotes to POW and is set out by Sqn.It may add to the doubt about his Unit.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James Castle View Post
    Dear Henk
    Footprints is a very good book. O C-B has done a huge amount of work and should be congratuladed on it. I am hoping Father Christmasa will bring me his latest book! There are some mistakes in it though these are not necessarily his mistakes. Many books do have typos in them.
    However there is no reason not to think that your man was not 83. Maybe an email to the RAF AHB could clear up things. They may also be able to tell you the serial number.
    Happy hunting
    James
    James,
    For sure AHB/RAF may have the info we need, however they won't answer my question not being a next of kin and for other 'difficult' reasons like work load, privacy act, etc.
    Henk.