Thread: Bomber Command briefing notes

Thanks

Default Bomber Command briefing notes

Jim Cave, whose father Harry was a pilot with 419 squadron in 6 Group, has recently sent me some copies of Briefing Notes (sourced by Richard Koval from the Canadian National Archives) that were used to brief crews before operations in 6 Group. The notes cover "Target Gen", "Previous attacks", "Aiming point", "Object", "Effort", "Decoys", "PFF", "Fighters", "Flak" etc.

Does anyone know whether such notes exist for 5 Group, and if so, where? If they're in the NA, I'll certainly need some help finding the ref. because despite many attempts over the years, I have rarely managed to find what I've been looking for!! Now the NA in Canberra is another matter altogether!!
    Regards and Seasons Greetings to all
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Default Briefing Notes

Hello Max. The notes I have found were generated at Station Level. I could not find all for 6 group, just back as far as Sept 44 in some cases. The 6 Group notes were signed off by the Base Intelligence Officer. To look for these you may want to start looking throught the 5 Group Station records. I would imagine that all Stations, regardless of which group would of been fed all the same info from Group HQ through BC HQ. The briefing notes from Leeming are the most detailed.
    Richard

Thanks

Hello Richard, thank you for that piece of info., it should save me a lot of time. Fascinating reads by the way, I sincerely hope I find some for 5 Group!
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Default Brief Notes.

Max. Another interesting document is the "Station Summary and Y" report, if you can find them.
    Richard