Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/L Haydn Jones 1 PRU 30.07.42

Thanks

Default F/L Haydn Jones 1 PRU 30.07.42

Dear Gentlemen,

the following airman was a member of 1 PRU and crashed with a Spitfire on 30th July 1942:

JONES, Flight Lieutenant, HAYDN MORTIMER, 42233. 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit. Royal Air Force. 30th July 1942. Age 26. Son of Thomas Selwyn and Violet Jones of Heronsgate, Chorley Wood, Hertfordshire; husband of Shirley Patricia Jones, of Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Bucks. Panel 65.

Can anyone please help me with the serial number and markings of the a/c?

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi,

Spitfire AA800

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks a lot Ross. It's much appreciated.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Default Pru

This is one brave guy given that they usually had no weapons to defend themselvesas they had been binned to give them extra speed by getting rid of the weight.

Dee

Thanks

Hi Steve,

F/L Haydn Mortimer Jones 1 PRU, KIA

Took off from Benson at 15:30 in a Spitfire PR.IV (AB301) on sortie C/131

Objective: Hamburg, Lubeck, Delmenhorst, Wilhelmshaven and Vegesack

I have AA800 lost same day 30 Jul 42 with F/O John Leahy Tully (RAAF) 1 PRU, MIA

Took off from Wick (no time) on sortie F/156 to Bergen

May I ask your interest in F/L Jones

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hi Andy,

For Tully I have AB301

Missing on mission to Lubeck. F/O Leahy of Quilpie, Queensland, is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial to the Missing.

A group of airwar researchers in Northern Germany has investigated this matter and has come to the conclusion that this Pilot went down with his Spitfire AB301 at 17:30 hrs after having been under attack of a Fw190 fighter of I./JG1. The crash-site was in a quarry in the village of Berensch, about 9 km SW of the town of Cuxhaven, on the North Sea coast.

The a/c burned; personnel of the German Air Force Base Nordholz recovered the remains of the pilot and salvaged the a/c. The pilot could not be identified by name, due to the fire, and was buried in the cemetery of Berensch, along the hedge. After the war the body was exhumed by a British MRES team.

Airmen who fell in that area were reinterred in Becklingen British War Cemetery near Soltau, and it is believed that the Unknown Airman of Berensch was also buried there.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi Andy,

For Tully I have AB301

Missing on mission to Lubeck. F/O Leahy of Quilpie, Queensland, is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial to the Missing.

A group of airwar researchers in Northern Germany has investigated this matter and has come to the conclusion that this Pilot went down with his Spitfire AB301 at 17:30 hrs after having been under attack of a Fw190 fighter of I./JG1. The crash-site was in a quarry in the village of Berensch, about 9 km SW of the town of Cuxhaven, on the North Sea coast.

The a/c burned; personnel of the German Air Force Base Nordholz recovered the remains of the pilot and salvaged the a/c. The pilot could not be identified by name, due to the fire, and was buried in the cemetery of Berensch, along the hedge. After the war the body was exhumed by a British MRES team.

Airmen who fell in that area were reinterred in Becklingen British War Cemetery near Soltau, and it is believed that the Unknown Airman of Berensch was also buried there.

Regards
    Ross
    Hi Ross,

The AB301 loss ties in with F/L Jones, whose objectives in N.W. Germany would have taken him near Cuxhaven.

F/O Tully was a member of 'E' Flight at Wick. AA800 was an 'E' Flight machine, having been previously with 'B' Flight at Wick before it being handed over to 'E' Flight

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Dear Gentlemen,

thanks again for all your kind replies.

The unknown airman of Berensch Cemetery is believed to be buried in Plot 27, Row B Grave No. 3 of Becklingen War Cemetery.

I try to help a german researcher in investigating this case. Hopefully one day he will be able to present a case to the AHB.

cheers

Steve

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Convincing argument to overturn that proposed by the air war research group.

I'll swap serials on my files and add a "most likely but to be confirmed" caveat.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Hi Ross,

I know that ORBs aren't infallible but I've just had a look through the 1 PRU ORB to double check.

The F.541 lists Tully as being in AA800 and Jones in AB301.

Also http://spitfires.ukf.net/p016.htm gives AA800 as being lost on a mission to Bergen, which fits with it operating from Wick with Tully as pilot.

Cheers

Andy Fletcher