Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No 72 radar Wing RAF

Thanks

Default Long shot after all this time....

Hi Ian,

Its a long shot after all this time but I'm seeking information on AMES 15120 G.C.I of which I understand was possibly transferred to the 72 Wing. Do you have any information on this unit?

The person I'm seeking is my Grandfather, Henry Jensen a New Zealander, who served with the RAF and also alongside American units. We know he arrived a few weeks after D-Day and then progressed down to Rennes and eventually into Belgium. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. We are heading to Normandy in April and will be following the location his orders took him so any other information we could find prior to this time would be brilliant.

Best regards,

Megan

Thanks

megandar,
    Presume this was the H J M JENSEN, one of 35 Radio Mechanics who embarked Wellington 20/1/42 for USA per PRESIDENT GRANT, disembarked Los Angeles 18/2/42, then presume by rail across USA (or ship through Panama Canal?), thence across Atlantic to UK. These "Radio Mechanics" were to be employed on Radar duties ("Radio" at that time was something of a cover term for the American term Radar, although within the RAF it was often known as RDF). Like pretty well all RNZAF personnel sent to the UK during WW2, Jensen remained a member of the RNZAF throughout his period of attachment, but was accommodated, paid and remained fully under the administration and control of the RAF.
    David D

Thanks

Yes David that's him! Trying to research information since its all under RAF is proving difficult from here in NZ.

Thanks

megandar,
    Have you tried getting a copy of his "Record of Service" here in NZ? As a serving member of the RNZAF, but on attachment to the RAF for his overseas service, the Air Ministry would keep the RNZAF informed of his subsequent promotions and postings as well as any subsequent training courses, he completed whilst under their administration. I would advise you to check on the RNZAF Museum website, or even phone them for advice on who to contact in Wellington regarding the obtaining of his record of service, as you are a direct descendent, so are fully entitled to this information. You may even be able to obtain the necessary addresses/web sites by simply googling.
    David D

Thanks

Thanks David, I'm pretty sure we have everything from them as my Dad requested it but I'm going to double check as it was a while back.