Thread: No 72 radar Wing RAF

Thanks

Default No 72 radar Wing RAF

Hello,
    I try to find the story of No 72 radar Wing RAF in Normandy , 1944. Is there a book about it?
    Many thanks. Cheers.
    Philippe Bauduin

Thanks

Phillipe,

There is no book about No 72 (Signals) Wing. However, I do have a copy of the complete Operations Record Book so I might be able to help if you have specific questions.

Ian Brown
    Last edited by Ian Brown; 20th December 2009 at 21:29. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
    Phillipe,

There is no book about No 72 (Signals) Wing. However, I do have a copy of the complete Operations Record Book so I might be able to help if you have specific questions.

Ian Brown
    Thank you Ian,
    I should appreciate to know the locations of radars and HQ of No 72 Wing during the Normandy Battle.
    The officer in command was the Group Captain Phillips and his main HQ was near Mathieu in the North of Caen. I do not know where was the Ops Room. On the first day, 6 june one radar was running at Sainte Mere Eglise, US sector, and an other one at Asnelles UK sector. There was a lot of other mouvable devices here and there. Are these locations known?
    Thank you again for your help.
    Philippe

Thanks

Phillipe,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, the units you refer to were not part of No 72 (Signals) Wing. This Wing was not responsible for all radar units in NW Europe, but rather for radio navigational aids.

I think you might be wrong as regards the two units you mention. One GCI was indeed operating in the British sector, but the one landed on Omaha Beach (a British radar unit landed on an American sector) lost all its vehicles and was not operating until several days after 6 June. If it is not this unit you are referring to, do please let me know, but if it is, it certainly wasn't on the air on 6 June.

Thanks

Phillipe,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, the units you refer to were not part of No 72 (Signals) Wing. This Wing was not responsible for all radar units in NW Europe, but rather for radio navigational aids.

I think you might be wrong as regards the two units you mention. One GCI was indeed operating in the British sector, but the one landed on Omaha Beach (a British radar unit landed on an American sector) lost all its vehicles and was not operating until several days after 6 June. If it is not this unit you are referring to, do please let me know, but if it is, it certainly wasn't on the air on 6 June.
    You are right, the first radar on US sector landed in sea water and all his electronic was definitely out of service . Another one, served by Royal Signal, should landed with the low tide of the evening the same day at the same place.Is that right?

Thanks

The GCI which was landed on Omaha Beach (AMES 15082) was indeed destroyed when they landed in deep water. Im not aware of another landing there the same day. The two units we have discussed were, as far as I know, the only two radar units landed on 6 June.

The LST was originally planned to land 15082 at 9am on the 6th, but was met with intense machine gun fire when it attempted to do so. It tried again at 5pm and this time managed to unload the unit. The Type 15 vehicle made it onto the beach (and can be seen in a US photo of Omaha Beach), but the Types 11, 13 and 14 were lost. Is this what you refer to as 'another' unit being landed in the evening?

Neither of the two units landed on 6 June were operated by the Royal Signals. both were RAF units. In fact, the Royal Signals had no involvement with radar during the war, not even Army radar which was operated by the Royal Artillery and maintained by the RAOC and later REME.

Thanks

The GCI which was landed on Omaha Beach (AMES 15082) was indeed destroyed when they landed in deep water. Im not aware of another landing there the same day. The two units we have discussed were, as far as I know, the only two radar units landed on 6 June.

The LST was originally planned to land 15082 at 9am on the 6th, but was met with intense machine gun fire when it attempted to do so. It tried again at 5pm and this time managed to unload the unit. The Type 15 vehicle made it onto the beach (and can be seen in a US photo of Omaha Beach), but the Types 11, 13 and 14 were lost. Is this what you refer to as 'another' unit being landed in the evening?

Neither of the two units landed on 6 June were operated by the Royal Signals. both were RAF units. In fact, the Royal Signals had no involvement with radar during the war, not even Army radar which was operated by the Royal Artillery and maintained by the RAOC and later REME.
    Dear Ian,
    Thank you very very much for these precisions
    Best regards and Best Wishes.
    Philippe

Thanks

Default message for Ian Brown

Ian, I note your comment regarding having a copy of the operational records book for 72 (Signals) Wing. Iam searching for a record of my wifes Grandfather who served with the North Somerset Yeomanry he was part of 4 AFS until 1944 when he was moved to 14 AFS which became part of 72 Wing where he remained until the end of the war.
    My questions are as follows: Do you know if a copy of the records book you have has either an ISBN so I can read it at the British Library or will there be a copy at Kew. If the answer to those is no if I sent you the old boys details would you please have a trawl to see if there is mention of why he got a Mention in Despatches. As with many from that era they did not talk about the war upon their return and it is only due to my being former military myself I noted the MID on his medals. Any help you can give will be deeply appreciated as I am going to the BL at Boston Spa next week. Regards John

Thanks

John,

Thanks for your post. The ORB is an unpublished original document and therefore does not have an ISBN number. The copy I have is a photocopy of the original held at Kew.

I am happy to look at the document if you want to send me the details. My email is I.brown999 AT btinternet.com. I'm not sure that there will be a mention of MiD but I can certainly look.

Thanks

Hello Philippe

Although not about 72 radar wing this site will tell you more of the RAF on Omaha beach http://www.therafatomahabeach.com/

Allan
    Allan Hillman