Thread: WW2 Medals issued in 2009

Thanks

Default WW2 Medals issued in 2009

Got a suprise package today,

i had filled in and sent of a medal form for a relative who died in ww2

I was expecting a formal list of what he would of been entitled to at the time but the package also included the medals themselves.

Was this due to the medals not being issued at the time?
    I had expected the medals already issued and lost over time within the family.

I received bran new in black boxes with the crown on the box, The France and Germany Star, War Medal and 1939-45 Star.

Thanks

The medals would only be issued to you as they had not been issued to the relatives of the family at the time.
    WWII campain medals in general had to be applied for.

My father was demobbed in 1946 from the SWB, he was issued with a bit of 1439-45 star ribbon along with his de-mob suit.

He died in 1994, I applied for & recieved his medals in 1995. along with the said box & relevant paperwork (list of campain medals in service order with a tick in the box of what his entitlement was).

Chris Davies

Thanks

I asked the Dept of Defence in Australia if I could have miniatures of my RAAF father's campaign medals -for my elderly mother to wear on Anzac Day .She had sent me his original medals .

These are not available from the D of D but the man to whom I spoke suggested finding a medal shop for miniatures .I found a very helpful shop owner in Sydney ,via the internet, who made up the miniature medals, hanging from ribbon with a long pin to secure to one's top & delivered them to my mother's home .More suitable for a lady to wear .

Anne

Thanks

I would suggest that relatives try to apply and see if the medals were issued at the time.

I cant see a way of knowing otherwise, i just thought the medals were lost through the family, if i had known i would of applied years back.

neil

Thanks

Most interesting. I have some ribbons of my uncle, and I think he never had any medals. What is the procedure to get them, and does it involve any cost? Out of pure curiousity, are the medals of old stocks or new made depending on demand?
    Merry Christmas to all

Thanks

Here is the link that you need. The medals are of recent manufacture.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

I had a form that needed to be signed by my gran, i had been sitting on the form for a while and cant remember where it came from.

yep the medals are bran new with longer ribbons then what was supplied at the time in very nice black boxes with the crown in gold on the lid.