Thread: Two months in Bournemouth at the PRC

Thanks

Default Two months in Bournemouth at the PRC

Can anyone tell me what air crew did during their stay at No. 3 PRC while waiting for assignment? I have a fellow who arrived in Bournemouth on 23 Jul 1943 and wasn't sent off to an OTU until 20 Sept.

I know that many of them stayed at the Hotel Metropole (one of my guys was killed there in a tip and run raid).

This navigator had a week's leave in early August but that's the only hint of what he was up to at this time.
    David

Thanks

My grandfather arrived in Bournemouth in Aug41.

The following is either a direct quote or paraphrase from McCarthy's "A Last Call of Empire":

The function of the PRC was to orientate aircrew as they arrived, to organise refresher courses and various other attachments, and to act as an agent for the air ministry in arranging postings. The main role was really to keep aircrew employed until they could be utilised.

From this and additional sources there was, more specifically:

...would have been medically checked out, briefed on his responsibilities and forthcoming duties, taken in lectures given by experienced aircrew, issued his battle dress and flying gear, and, finally, assigned his next posting.

In my grandfather's case, he was fortunate in regard to this last aspect in that he only spent nine days at 3 PRC. The morale of many airmen was compromised from lying idel at PRCs when there was a war to fight.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hi David,

I am reading a book written by a mate on his father and he was at Bournemouth in 1943. He did two courses with the British army while he waited to go on to a OTU. He ended up with 460 Sqn and was shot down on the Berlin raid of 23/24 August 1943 and was mad a pow.

Regaeds,

John.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
    I am reading a book written by a mate on his father and he was at Bournemouth in 1943. He did two courses with the British army while he waited to go on to a OTU. He ended up with 460 Sqn ...
    Hi John,

Can you please tell me what the title of book is?

I purchased something with "Tourist" in the title dealing with a 460 Sqn man and wrapped it for a self xmas present from my wife. If it isn't the same book, I'd be keen to know more (got 2 relatives who served with 460 Sqn - one perished on Black Thursday).

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hi Adrian,

Its called Holidaying on the Continent by Richard Munro I dont think you would have a copy but I can get you one if you like !

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Interesting question. Just checked my father's service record. Left New York City, March 8, 1943 and arrived in the UK #3 PRC March 17, 1943. (Would that be correct? Nine days to cross the ocean?) Wasn't posted to 21 Squadron until May 25, 1943. I have a few family pictures of some airmen in a park at Bournemouth, and another picture of two airmen with the caption, "Taken in Bournemouth England watching for aircraft from rooftops of hotels"