Thread: 102 Sqn at Lakenheath in 1944?

Thanks

Default 102 Sqn at Lakenheath in 1944?

I have a note on a service file for a navigator from 102 Sqn that seems to indicate a temporary detachment to RAF Lakenheath on 7 January 1944. Can anyone tell me what this was?

My man was lost later that month on the Magdeburg raid 21/22 Jan, which left from Pocklington, so it was a short detachment by the looks of it.
    David

Thanks

David

There is a record in the Lakenheath ORB under the heading "C" temporary duty that F/O A.L. Clogg (Nav.) and F/O L.W. O'Neill (A/B) were attached from 102 Squadron on 6/1/44 for temp. duty w.e.f. d/s to 16/1/44 (rations for 10 days) Authority O.C. 102 Squadron. Both names in the ORB had J? after their names. Other than this, nothing else has been recorded.

I see from Bill Chorley's Bomber Command Losses of 1944 that F/O O'Neill, who was also RCAF, was in the same crew as F/O Clogg for the operation to Magdeburg. Neither men were recorded as being operational with 199 during this attachment and, unfortunately, I do not have access to the 149 ORB.

Best wishes

Douglas

Thanks

Thanks Douglas, that's interesting. Does anyone have any idea what a 10-day detachment might have been for?
    David