Thread: logbooks

Thanks

Default logbooks

Is there any significance with entries made in red as opposed to the normal black ink entry in a logbook?
    Does anyone know what 'bombing ex 2' and 'bobming ex 3' etc was carried out by training w/op at 10 OTU in January 1943 in Whitleys?
    thanks for yuor time and seasonal greetings.
    Paul

Thanks

hello Paul,

Entries is red ink might have two meanings : night flying, or operations. Sometimes the entries were just underlined in red ink, or a figure in red was added (number of ops).

As you are talking about OTU, I'd rather say it was night flying.

Joss

Thanks

Paul,
    Red normally signifies operations as opposed to training ect, bombing ex, is bombing exercise, and the 2-3 are probably the exercise numbers, now back to opening presents.

Thanks

Default Log Books

I have been through my fathers log book from 1937 to 1946 and all RED entries appear to be NIGHT FLYING, and OPERATIONAL FLIGHTS.

Thanks

My father explained the following colours of ink (Fountain Pen) in his operational logbook

Blue Ink: Training (Day or night) or other flying (i.e. return from diversions, operations recall, air tests).
    Green Ink: Daytime ops.
    Red Ink: Nighttime ops.

In his other log books, the entries are pretty much in blue ink in although summaries are in red ink. The exceptions are that OTU training at night was in red ink.

Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
    My father explained the following colours of ink (Fountain Pen) in his operational logbook

Blue Ink: Training (Day or night) or other flying (i.e. return from diversions, operations recall, air tests).
    Green Ink: Daytime ops.
    Red Ink: Nighttime ops.

In his other log books, the entries are pretty much in blue ink in although summaries are in red ink. The exceptions are that OTU training at night was in red ink.

Jim
    Excellent info, that explains a lot

Thanks

My Dad concurs with Jim. Red was operations at night and green was operations by day.

Leslie

Thanks

Although I do not have a log book available for reference here, my recollection is that there were full instructions printed in the front section on how to use the log book, amd all the rules and conventions to be observed by the person to whom it applied. Another recollection is that it was firmly stated that the log book remained the properety of the respective government (that is, it was never intended to be private property). I presume that the rules and conventions changed with the passage of time, and various Commands and Headquarters may have introduced supplementaty rules to be observed by the person to whom it was issued.
    David D