Thread: Victor Andersen (49582, RAF) - Dane in the RAF?

Thanks

Default Victor Andersen (49582, RAF) - Dane in the RAF?

In a number of lists of Danish servicemen in the RAF a F/O Viktor/Victor Andersen is listed, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=a&id=7

I have located such a man in the London Gazette:

promoted from Sgt (534872) to F/O on probation 2nd Sept. 1942. (Seny. 2Oth May 1942.) according to LG 35741
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35741/supplements/4438

promoted from Actg. P/O (prob.) to P/O on 2nd Nov. 1942. (Seny. 20th July 1942.) according to LG 35784
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35784/supplements/4929

via ancestry.co.uk I have a possible - but only possible - match to a Victor Andersen, born 4 June 1917 and deceased Oct. 1988 and possibly married to a Jean Erickson in Liverpool in 3rd quarter 1943.

This seems to be as far as I can get - anyone with information on this man or ideas for further research?

Regards - and seasonal greetings

Mikkel Plannthin
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 29th December 2009 at 09:11.
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

anyone?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,

All I can add is the service number 534872 enlistment date was around October 1936 !

Mark

Thanks

Mark,
    Thanks! The early date makes it likely that he was naturalised British subject before enlisting.

Mikkel

Thanks

Default Victor Andersen

Victor Andersen was my father. He and his younger brother Stanley joined the RAF in 1936 after realising that war was inevitible. They had to become "Free Danes" in order to join up. Both were posted to Singapore and dad was on the last ship out of Singapore before it fell to the Japanese. Stanley was killed in a flying incident on the 3rd January 1942 and is buried in Taiping Cemetary.
    After returning to the UK, my father was sent to the School of Oriental Languages and learned Japanese. He then returned to the Far East where he served as an Intelligence Officer in Burma, India, China and for a short while at the end of the war, in Japan. He worked in the South -East Asia Translation and Interrogation Centre (and later on, post 1945, the Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Centre in Germany).
    He travelled all over the Far East but his work was highly classified and he told me nothing of it, or of his work post 1945 until his retirement. However, during the klast years of his life, things did start to slip out and it would seem that he lived a very secret and esciting life both during and after the war. I do however know that he worked for the British Intelligence Service and British Services Security Organisation in Germany after the War and we were in Berlin for a total of eight years, being there and witnessing the Berlin Wall being erected.
    He was responsible for setting up the German version of MI 5, the BfV for which he received an MBE on the 2nd February 1956.

Thanks

Default Further to Victor Andersen.

He was promoted on 1st January 1944 and posted to India to fill a vacancy in the CSDIC (Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Centre) in Dehli.

Thanks

Default Victor Andersen.

Hello Mikkel,

Victor Andersen was my father. He and his younger brother Stanley (F/O (Obs) 45211 Stanley Walter Andersen) both joined the RAF and both were posted to Singapore. Stanley was killed in an air crash 03/01/1942.

My father was on the last boat out of Singapore before it fell to the Japanese. On his return to the UK he went to the School of African and Oriental studies and learned Japanese before returning to the Far East. There he worked in the Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Centre (India). He also served in Burma, China, and Vietnam (as translator to General Gracey, Commanding Officer Allied Land Forces Indo China).

He was de-mobbed 07/11/1945.

He married Jean Erickson 07/08/1943 and had four children; Gillian Karen, Judith Inge, Sally Elspeth Astrid and me, Kim Aage Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel Plannthin View Post
    In a number of lists of Danish servicemen in the RAF a F/O Viktor/Victor Andersen is listed, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=a&id=7

I have located such a man in the London Gazette:

promoted from Sgt (534872) to F/O on probation 2nd Sept. 1942. (Seny. 2Oth May 1942.) according to LG 35741
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/4438

promoted from Actg. P/O (prob.) to P/O on 2nd Nov. 1942. (Seny. 20th July 1942.) according to LG 35784
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/4929

via ancestry.co.uk I have a possible - but only possible - match to a Victor Andersen, born 4 June 1917 and deceased Oct. 1988 and possibly married to a Jean Erickson in Liverpool in 3rd quarter 1943.

This seems to be as far as I can get - anyone with information on this man or ideas for further research?

Regards - and seasonal greetings

Mikkel Plannthin

Thanks

Hello,

Victor Andersen's brother, Stanley, was lost on No.34 Squadron:

Sat 3 Jan 1942
    FAR EAST.
    Attack on convoy.
    34 Squadron, RAF (Tengah, Singapore)
    Blenheim IV V5388 - took off with two others on a patrol along the western coast of Malaya. At least two of the Blenheims located and bombed two vessels off Kuala Selangor, and a number of small craft were machine gunned ten miles south of Penang. V5388 was brought down further north, some 200 yards off the coast, about three miles from Yen. All three are buried at Taiping.

Pilot NZ405289 Plt Off James Garfield LOMAX, RNZAF - Age 29

See:
    For Your Tomorrow: A Record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915, Volume One: Fates 1915-1942.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1998
    p.169.

Crew:

NZ405289 P/O (Pilot) James Garfield LOMAX RNZAF +
    45211 F/O (Obs.) Stanley Walter ANDERSEN RAF +
    564864 F/Sgt (Obs.) Roy Frank Richard JAMES RAF +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th August 2015 at 00:11.