Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S.O.E Drop Zone Codes?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'll jump in on this thread with a few more names.

I have 75 (NZ) squadron on "Special ops" dropping containers on Wheelwright 67,
    Footman 10, and Trainer 115 in early March 1944 with Stirling aircraft.
    Anyone know where these locations are ?

Thanks,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Hi Wayne,
    The Wheelwright operations were drops to the network of the same name in the Gironde Estuary (France). One small hamlet in the network was Castelnau (one of 8 villages with same name). The closest large city is Bordeaux. You will find that a lot of the missions were for names of SOE networks.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

I don't know who decided the names of these drop codes but on my RAAF father's last mission in Italy 12/10/44 -supply dropping to Italian partisans in northern Italy, undertaken by 31 & 34 sqdn SAAF, the names of cars were used . Perhaps also used by the USAAF, based in Italy ?

The drop zones were Dodge , Chrysler , Parrot & Morris . American & British cars .

I'm told that Parrot was a brand of car but can't find information about it . Does anyone KNOW if it was British or American ??

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 28th December 2009 at 13:56.

Thanks

The air bases i.e. Tempsford would be issued with a Form which contained the code name and the position of the dropzone plus other info needed.
    DZ`s in Denmark was named Tablejam plus a number.
    Tablejam 238 was located at 563218N 091254E, 15 km NW of Viborg, 6½ km ESE of Hojslev STBY. Lights C/Nuts. Load 12 containers and Sail.
    This for a drop scheduled on 25/26-2-45.

Soren
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info on the Wheelwright area.
    It's a very interesting subject, something I would like to look into further.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Hello,

Rummy 5 was flown by one Stirling IV on the night of 24/25 October 1944.
    I don't know if it'll help but the more precise description of Rummy missions I have is a DZ in Holland 'close to the Dutch/German border, not far from the Dortmund Ems Canal.
    Precisions of some other 295 Squadron/570 Squadron 'Rummys' I have: Rummy 5 was flown after Rummy 8, 10, 6 & 19.
    Rummy 4, 8 and 10 were flown the same night by 3 Stirling IV (27/28 September 1944) but no reception so all loads were brought back.
    Rummy 10 was flown again on 3 October 1944 (with this time 2 troops to be dropped as written but again no reception after having been over the DZ from 20H25 to 21H38).
    Rummy 6, one aircraft of 295 Squadron on 11/12 October 1944. No reception.
    Rummy 19 on 19/20 October 1944. Again no reception!
    Rummy 5 on 24/25 September 1944 had reception and so could drop his load.
    The reason of the mix order of the missions could be due to the lack of reception and so, by example, the mission Rummy 6 seemed to stand the mission Rummy 6 until it succeeded.
    Regards.

Bruno
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

Default Rumney 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Hello,

Rummy 5 was flown by one Stirling IV on the night of 24/25 October 1944.
    I don't know if it'll help but the more precise description of Rummy missions I have is a DZ in Holland 'close to the Dutch/German border, not far from the Dortmund Ems Canal.
    Precisions of some other 295 Squadron/570 Squadron 'Rummys' I have: Rummy 5 was flown after Rummy 8, 10, 6 & 19.
    Rummy 4, 8 and 10 were flown the same night by 3 Stirling IV (27/28 September 1944) but no reception so all loads were brought back.
    Rummy 10 was flown again on 3 October 1944 (with this time 2 troops to be dropped as written but again no reception after having been over the DZ from 20H25 to 21H38).
    Rummy 6, one aircraft of 295 Squadron on 11/12 October 1944. No reception.
    Rummy 19 on 19/20 October 1944. Again no reception!
    Rummy 5 on 24/25 September 1944 had reception and so could drop his load.
    The reason of the mix order of the missions could be due to the lack of reception and so, by example, the mission Rummy 6 seemed to stand the mission Rummy 6 until it succeeded.
    Regards.

Bruno
    Hi Bruno The Flying Logbook I have has details of Rumney 5 . Flown 13/10/44 in 570 Squadron Stirling E7Z-551 Pilot was Fg Off Jennings, Do you have any idea what Draughts 1 and Draughts 7 was ? also Blinkers 5. All mentioned in this Flying Logbook

regards
    max

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Hi Bruno The Flying Logbook I have has details of Rumney 5 . Flown 13/10/44 in 570 Squadron Stirling E7Z-551 Pilot was Fg Off Jennings, Do you have any idea what Draughts 1 and Draughts 7 was ? also Blinkers 5. All mentioned in this Flying Logbook

regards
    max
    Bruno Further to my last and looking at the writing in the logbook it may well be that the writing says RUMMEY can send you a scan of the page
    max