Thread: RAF Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Thanks

Default RAF Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Could someone please tell me about the Royal Air Force Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

1) Was the medal / Is the medal awarded to all regardless of rank?
    2) When did it start being awarded?
    3) What service was required / Is required, to qualify? I have heard various lengths of service from 12 to 18 years.
    4) How was it / How is it presented?

Thank you,
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 29th December 2009 at 21:25.

Thanks

Hi Norman
    Q 4 - The only occaision I saw the medal presented was by the Station Commander during the monthly Station Commander's Parade. This was Post war. I am not sure how seriously such parades were treated during the war years. It was well enough thought of for someone like the Station Commander to actually present the award but it could also be done by calling the recipient into SHQ to the CO's office
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

1) Officers only became eligible for the award in 1947, announced in AMO A576.

2) According to Brooks and Routledge, in their "The Royal Air Force Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 1919-1941", the first awards to the RAF were announced in October 1919. However, they do state that the "Army" LS&GC was awarded 38 RFC/RAF members prior to 1919, and a few "Naval"ones to the RNAS.

3) 18 years of regular service, and during the last 12 years of service their character had to be continuously be deemed as "Very Good", and the first 6 years as "Good".

4) The aforementioned book doesn't say how it was presented

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

RAF LS&GC medals were nearly always presented by the Stn Commander, unless that is, a visit from an Air Officer was on the cards and a small ceremonyn could be organised. To this end, if a big wig was visiting, LS&GC's were sometimes 'saved up' and a number of them were given out at the same time.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Got my LS&GCM after 15 years 'undetected crime' in a ceremony in the Sgts Mess presented by the AOC alongside a number of others getting same medal and other commendations and medals. 15 years later, after 30 years service (and still not caught!) I was handed an envelope containing the bar to my LS&GCM by my boss - a Sqn Ldr! Length of service to qualify has changed a number of times over the years but it is currently 15 years.
    Last edited by tomdocherty72; 30th December 2009 at 12:59. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Default LS&GC medal

Laughed a lot when I saw the "undetected crime" I have hear a fair few members of the RAF say that. My dad got the same medal but it could have been the good cricket playing that helped. Just to throw a mix into the pot there was also the Air Efficiency Medal for RAFR & RAFAux members. Now replaced by the Volunteer Reserve Services Medal. I have just got my bar to the latter. With that medal it is 10 years for medal then 5 years for the bar. The 10 is reasonably common but there are not many who go on for 15 years. I am still in but will have to do 8 years to get the second bar because full time reserve service doesnt count for full in medal terms! Hey ho

Dee

Thanks

A number of blokes (some of the blokesses may soon qualify?) in the Mobile Met Unit have AE & Bar having gone through RAFVR, RAFRO, RAFR, and now Sponsored Reserve (but never, as far as I am aware, ever RAuxAF - in spite of some sites naming the MMU as thus!!). One of our blokes had AE and 2 Bars!!!! - i.e. 30 years Reserve service! He can't claim Undetected Crime! I was the Unit Adj and I know where the bodies are buried!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sufficient Folding Coin Of The Realm, John, can ensure my silence.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 6th January 2010 at 15:21.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Mmu

Peter

Goodness the MMU have been through some changes. Glad to hear some of them have 2 bars... A very unsung branch of the RAF despite the fact the bomber crews used to curse them up hill and down dale but then they dont have the technology we do today... I dont remember hearing about any Auxiliary AE+2 bars either... Is there anyone out there who can put us right. Pity they got rid of it cos I would have preferred that to the VRSM (never mind!)

Dee

Thanks

Default Mmu

Dee, Hi,
    The Mobile Met Unit is still very much alive and kicking. If I can get a copy of this to OC MMU he may be able to respond. Just to give you a flavour of the "Undetected Crime" I retired as 2 i/c & Adj in Jun 1996 having reached 60 years. My place was taken by a younger, fitter, bloke. 6 months later the UK embarked on another Small War (can't remember which one!). This hairy old Wg Cdr from Innsworth rang me up (at home!!!) and asked if I could come back for 6 months (to allow the younger, fitter, bloke to deploy to Bongo-Bongo Land (or similar)). I said "But I'm over 60, Boss". He said "Then we'll just have to say you lied about your age! Be in the MMU HQ at Benson on Monday morning."!! And so it came to pass!
    Luckily my "buried bodies" are less important than some others' "buried bodies". They won't 'snitch' on me - not if they know what's good for 'em!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!