Thread: Operation ‘Dodge’ 1945

Thanks

Default Operation ‘Dodge’ 1945

Can anyone throw any light on operation ‘Dodge’, which I think was to repatriate POW’s from Italy back to UK.
    My fathers log book show he flew to Bari , then returned 7 days later to Tibbenham (August 1945)

My thanks as usual
    Paul.

Thanks

G'day Paul

There were two massive P.O.W. repatriation operations that began on the 2nd of May, 1945. 'Operation Exodus', the repatriation of allied P.O.W.'s in Europe and 'Operation Dodge' the repatriation of P.O.W.'s from Italy and the Mediterranean.

Lancasters were heavily involved in these ops.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default repatriation of troops Italy to England

Hi Paul
    My late uncle of 90 squadron flew for a year bringing home British troops from Italy.He was with a voluntary crew who stayed on after the war and flew out of RAF Tuddenham.I have several pictures of this and they carried 25 men per flight.
    regards
    john kelly--johnb.kelly@ns.sympatico.ca

Thanks

Default Operation Dodge

On 6th May '45 we flew to Brussels(Operation Exodus) with 61 Sqdn to bring back pows to Dunsfold. On 15th August '45 we flew with 44 Sqdn from Mepal to Bari, Italy, 6 hours 50 mins, to bring back 20 ex-Eighth Army personnel to Tibenham in order to speed up their return. They were sitting wherever they could but were evenly placed in Lancaster 'F'. We stayed overnight at a Malcolm Club. We made a similar flight on the 22nd. On 5th September '45 we took 3 passengers from Tibenham to Bari and again returned with 20 personnel but this time from and to our new base, Mildenhall. On 23rd November '45 we ferried equipment to Pomigliano and returned on 27th November.