Thread: 607 Sq J.A.Vick

Thanks

Default 607 Sq J.A.Vick

Seeking or I am trying to trace any relations of James Anderson Vick who served in No.607 Squadron at RAF Usworth.He passed away in 2002,where? as I think he passed away overseas?Any information on J.A.Vick would be great.

Toml

Thanks

Default J.A. Vick

There is info about him in "Men of Battle of Britain" by Wynn.

/John

Thanks

Hi Toml,
    James Anderson Vick was almost the most senior pilot on 607 Squadron as he was the second pilot candidate to join the squadron in 1932. He was Flight Commander while the squadron was in France and left to join 609 Squadron. He was involved in a serious car accident and never got there and returned to 607 as CO, leading the squadron throughout the Battle of Britain. At the end of 1940 he was taken off flying and posted to 14 Fighter Group as a controller.
    Jim Vick failed an eye test and was seconded to Imperial Airways in 1942, on the administration side. Eventually, through his association with former 607 CO Leslie Runciman, he moved to BOAC. All of his airline career appears to have been overseas and much of it based in Nicosia, Cyprus: the last address I have for him was in Nicosia. Consensus appears to be that he died there, I may be wrong so, if anyone knows different would you please let me know.
    Although Jim Vick spent most of his early life in Newcastle he was born in Kings Norton. There appears to be no family relatives in the Newcastle area to the best of my knowledge. May I ask what your interest in Jim Vick is?
    I hope this is of interest, it may point you in the right direction anyway.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Default j.a.vick.

hi. Toml
    he died on 11.05.200. registered at reading. berkshire.
    hope this helps.
    regards. tom

Thanks

Default J.A.Vick

Northeagle-Hi Robert,thanks for replying.I already have alot of info on J.A.Vick,dates etc of his early 607 flying days.My interest is researching both military and civil aircraft crashes in my local area.J.A.Vick made a forced landing in an Avro?[most likely a 504N]very near to where I live on 24.6.1936 with minor injuries.Regarding tracing his pilots log book to identify that aircraft.He was lost after flying from Catterick to Usworth and the weather was wet and foggy conditions.His aircraft went through a hedge and ended up with the tail in the air.James was thrown out of the cockpit with only shock injuries.

Regards,Toml

Thanks

Default j.a.vick.

hi. toml
    death date should read 2000.
    humble apollogies.
    regards tom.

Thanks

Toml,

Since Vick is a very unusual surname (just 6 in London) have you tried using the BT online telephone directory (BT.com) to trace possible descendents? Go to

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en//search/residential/search.publisha?Surname=&Location=&Initial=&Street =

and enter Vick and Reading in the search boxes. There are two Vicks in Reading; Newcastle also returns two, but Robert (Northeagle) has advised these are not related.

Alternatively you could obtain his death certficate which will identify his address and that of the person (often a close relative) who registered the death. If it is a relative it might be possible to trace his logbook - if it has survived (but don't hold your breath).

Brian

Thanks

Hi Toml & Brian,
    By all means check the Newcastle ones, it was a couple of years ago I tried. Relatives have a habit of moving about. The name Vick is a bit more common up here, there are four in the Northumberland Telephone Directory: two of those are in an area that looks promising. If it's of interest to anyone, his fathers name was Hampden Vick. I have checked the Squadron ORB and there is nothing in there for that date.
    The logbooks I have had access to all pay homage to 'Murphy' and date from 1937. I did spend some time looking at the papers of Leslie Runciman, dating from 1930, likewise, they had nothing on the subject. The logbook of Runciman also appears to be missing somewhere which was surprising, his family have no idea where it is.
    I have checked the death entry date, supplied by Thomas Stone, and that is accurate enough, thanks are due to him.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.