Thread: AUS409284 F/Lt D C DUNN DFC - Citation

Thanks

Default AUS409284 F/Lt D C DUNN DFC - Citation

Hello All (and Happy New Year),

In the DFC Citation of, AUS409284 F/Lt Dudley Clyde DUNN RAAF, the final paragraph reads: "Flight Lieutenant DUNN has participated in the destruction of one enemy aircraft and one enemy 'U'-boat." (NAA: A9300 DUNN D C p.17 of 36).

Has anyone an alternate source for Dunn's DFC Citation, and can check the wording; "enemy 'U'-boat" - does it read as such? (Dunn served with Nos.154 & 72 Sqns in the Med, during the period in question).

I have the details of Dunn's entry in 'Beyond Courage/Franks pp.123 & 175.

All help appreciated.

Col.

Thanks

Hi Col,

According to Michael Maton's book The Distinguihed Flying Cross to Australians, it reads the same. His file at the NAA which is on line also says the same. His file also states that he flew fighters !!

Not to sure about the Uboat.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello John,

Thanks for checking Maton (AUS$150.00 was a bit steep for me!).

Not keen on the "U-boat" bit, at all.

Need to do a bit more work.

Thanks, and HNY.

Col.

Thanks

Default Dudley Dunn

Extract from 'Swift to Battle Vol 2' :

Feb 1945 - 72 Sqn based at Ravenna, Italy:

"The first operations were flown on the 14th and met with immediate success. Six Spitfires flew a sweep of the Bergamo area and came across a solitary bomber. Six pilots shared in the kill: Sqn Ldr Arthur (PL319), Flt Lt JNM McKinnon (MK171), Flt Lt DC Dunn (PT485), Flg Off WEC Bunting (PL444), Flg Off DG Crawford (PL322) and Sgt Denis Degerlund (PT594). Three British, two Canadians and an Australian - a truly international effort. The victim was Ju188D-2 F6+AP of 6(F)/122. Oberleutnant B Friesenhausen, Oberfeldwebel J Franken and Obergefreiter F Regitz were all killed. One other crewmember survived."

Tom Docherty
    Last edited by tomdocherty72; 2nd January 2010 at 13:23. Reason: spelling/additional info

Thanks

Hello Tom,

I have a problem.

14 October 1944

During the late afternoon 72 Sqn Spitfires encountered what they thought was an Me 410 near Bergamo-Seriate aerodrome, and six pilots shared in its destruction. Their recognition was faulty, for they had shot down a Ju 188D-2 (W.Nr.150500, F6+AP) of 6.(F)/122. Only one crew member seems to have survived, Oblt. Bodo Freisenhausen, Ofw. Josef Franken and Ogfr. Friedrich Regitz being killed.

See:
    Air War Italy 1944-45:The Axis Air Forces from the Liberation of Rome to the Surrender.
    Beale,N,D'Amico,F. & G Valentini.
    Shrewsbury:Airlife,1996.
    p.112

Tom, could you please confirm your date?

Col.

Thanks

For what it's worth, there is a thread running on PPRuNe in Military Aircrew section "Gaining an RAF pilot's brevet in WW2" where the latest entries are the memoirs of a 72 Sqdn pilot (although they still in N Africa so far). This incident may be recorded in there at some later date.

Thanks

Default 72 Sqn dates

Sorry about that - I should take more care with dates - it was 14 Oct 44 and 72 Sqn were based at Florence. In my defence I was rushing to get out the door for an appointment. Next time I will wait till I can sit down and read my research material more closely!

Cheers

Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom/KevinW4,

KW4, will keep an eye on the site you mention, thanks.

Tom, thanks for the clarification. I was unaware of Dunn's involvement in the action of 14 October, 1944. The names of the other participants are also welcome.

Col.