Thread: Wing Commander R.E. Young DSO, DFC - 570 Squadron

Thanks

Default Wing Commander R.E. Young DSO, DFC - 570 Squadron

Hello and all my best wishes to you all for new year 2010!

I've received a photo of 16 Squadron, dated from 1943, where an airman named 'China' Young appears.
    I have several questions:
    1 - Was 'China' Young the future Wing Commander R.E. Young DSO, DFC who commanded 570 Squadron, 38 Group?

2 - In the London Gazette I found a Ralph Eskirne Young (44659) who should be the Wing Commander R.E. Young DSO, DFC, O.C. 570 Squadron. Can someone confirm this?

3 - Even if Ralph Eskirne Young (44659) wasn't the Wing Commander R.E. Young DSO, DFC it is written in the London Gazette that the Squadron Leader Ralp Eskirne Young DSO, DFC (44659) had his commission relinquished on 20th July 1946 and was to return to Army Duty.
    How a such decorated airman can have his commission relinquished to return to the Army?

4 - When we read the London Gazette pages it is always written that Ralph Eskirne Young (44659) had an RAF rank and at he same time an Army rank. By example it was written Maj. R.E. at the time his RAF commission was relinquished.
    2 careers at the same time?

I thank you in advance for all your help.
    Regards

Bruno
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

Hi Bruno

Officers choose to relinquish commissions themselves, it is not a term used when the officer is forced to lose his/her commission and if they had committed an offence serious enough to warrant this it is unlikely they would be allowed to serve in another service.

Many Army officers volunteered to fly with the RAF and therefore held two commissions, one in the Army and one in te RAF. Afte rthe war these officers made the choice whether to remain in the RAF or to return to the Army. One such officer was Andrew Geddes who by the end of WW2 was a Major in the Army and an AIR COMMODORE in the RAF. He applied to transfer to the RAF and was accepted and therefore relinquished his commission in the Army.

Young obviously chose to return to the Army rather than transfer to the RAF.

Happy New Year

Malcolm

Thanks

Bruno

there's a picture of R E Young taken in 1950:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1950/1950&#37;20-%201136.html?search=R.%20E.%20Young

You maybe able to make a comparison with your pic

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Malcolm, Amrit,

I thank you very much.

Amrit,

Great, it is the same man on my photo!

Regards.

Bruno
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>