Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt R. W. Raharuhi, NZ412737, 115 Sqn

Thanks

Default Sgt R. W. Raharuhi, NZ412737, 115 Sqn

Hi,

Pilot Sgt R. W. Raharuhi, NZ412737 was posted with his crew (including air gunner Sgt Robert Carter, NZ41570) from 75 Sqn to 115 Sqn on the 10 November 1942. This posting is listed in the Operational Record Book of 115 Sqn (Form 540) but after this he disappears from the ORB (=he is never included in the lists of pilots involved in operations). I have checked from November to the end of March 1943 when Carter was posted away from this unit.

Can anyone confirm what happened to Raharuhi? If he became ill or was posted away what happened with the rest of the crew. Did they receive a new pilot or were they used as reserves?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Peter,

Not a direct answer to your query, but Raharuhi was by 11 Nov 43 serving as a staff pilot with No.1 SFTS back in New Zealand. On this date his Oxford was involved in a taxying accident at Wigram.

Errol

Thanks

Errol,

My main interest in this is Carters operational tour with 115 Squadron and I was expecting to learn more by following the track of Raharuhi but it was another dead end. Anyway I will obtain Form 540 and will probably be able to follow Carters operational flights in this but the question what happened to Raharuhi puzzles me.

Peter

Thanks

Default Help

You could try the Sqn Assn. Dee

Thanks

Dee

Sorry for the late answer but thanks for the advice.

Peter

Thanks

Roy William RAHARUHI (NZ412737, postwar number 70681) posted from 11 OTU to 75 (NZ) Squadron 19/8/42, to 115 Squadron 10/11/42, to (unreadable) 2/12/42, disembarked NZ 10/2/43. Incidentlly postwar he served as a Corsiar pilot with 14 Squadron in Japan on occupation duties. There is nor obvious reason stated fore his return to NZ.
    David D

Thanks

Whoops, sorry for numerous spelling (actually mistyping) errrors in last post, too fast on the send button! However should not cause any confusion if read sympathetically.
    David D

Thanks

David
    I checked the Form 540 once again but Raharuhi is not included in the "LIST OF POSTINGS TO AND FROM UNIT DURING MONTH OF DECEMBER 1942" but thanks to you I now know he left the unit anyway and this explains why he was not listed for operations. This also means that the paths of Raharuhi and and Carter are separated from this date. I will probably be able to follow Carter when I get the Form 541 of the ORB but any info about why Raharuhi left 115 Sqn is still welcome.
    Peter

Thanks

I am the daughter of Roy William Raharuhi. I have only just received my fathers flight log books which make interesting reading. Looking at the log books Carter and my father first flight together was 22nd June 1942 with the last flight together on the 1st Sept 1942. There is no other mention of Carter in anywhere else in the log books.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri Raharuhi View Post
    I am the daughter of Roy William Raharuhi. I have only just received my fathers flight log books which make interesting reading. Looking at the log books Carter and my father first flight together was 22nd June 1942 with the last flight together on the 1st Sept 1942. There is no other mention of Carter in anywhere else in the log books.
    Kiri,
    Thank you for this information. It makes it a bit clearer.
    Peter