Thread: 304 Sq Book

Thanks

Default 304 Sq Book

Regarding Wellington MkIc R1268,No.304[Polish]Squadron,coded NZ-T,which was written off after it crashed in County Durham on 14.12.1940.Firstly,from an eyewitness who heard that Wellington R1268 had landed at Carlisle before returning to base-can anyone confirm this from Polish records.In the book,304 Squadron by Mariusz Konarski there are 2 photos of Wellington NZ-T,one is dated 1941 which would be the replacement aircraft.The other photo is undated-what is the date of this photograph?

Toml

Thanks

Yes, I can confirm that there is nothing in 304th ORB about the crash. There is another way to check. You can contact Sikorski Museum directly on this number 02075899249 and explain what sort of info you are looking for. Their response may take some time as they have a thousands of documents and lot of people waiting for their requested materials. They also can check whether material, which might be useful for you, is written in Polish or English (because I presume that Polish might be quite challenging) before sending ordered copy .

Thanks

Default R1268 Landing In Carlisle

All indications are that this aircraft was low on fuel and if it had landed at Carlisle the pilot would certainly have refuelled. Additionally. If he took off from Carlisle he was off course by 80 or 90 degrees which is difficult to understand as he would have only flown 70 miles or so from Carlisle when he crashed. If the weather was good enough to take off, he would have started on the right course and it is difficult to see how he could have strayed so far off course in such a short distance. He may well have flown OVER Carlisle as he was on a cross country navigation exercise.

Thanks

I take the liberty of posting very off-topic comment to Peter S.:

"because I presume that Polish might be quite challenging"

Polish is OK - I know you say for me as I am also Slavonian - but I am sure with a good translator for averyone using Latin alphabet.
    There is no bigger challenge than an attempt to find a loss of American bomber in Pacific in book in Japanese - I tried only once and give up very quickly:-)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz