Thread: Flt/Lt 'Ginger' Lauder

Thanks

Default Flt/Lt 'Ginger' Lauder

I've now established that T4049 Defiant 264sqn was flown by 'Ginger' Lauder when it was abandoned over Tunbridge Wells.

I still cant understand why the book 'The Defiant file' lists Sgt Tokarczyk as injured, given that he was an experienced ATA pilot (unless he himself was being ferried or was transfered to gunner but that still contradicts the previous thread).

As I cant find any further details of Ginger Lauder, wondered if anyone else had researched him or could point me towards some suitable links'

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 3rd January 2010 at 13:19.

Thanks

David

MotBoB (Wynn) lists 48822 Sgt Arnold John Lauder with 264S. Commisioned in 1942, was a F/L 1/5/1944. I would type the whole entry for you, but I guess you have a copy.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

I hadn't a jot of information. So thankyou. A belated Happy 2010 to you, Dave

Thanks

On this site

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6187&page=2

Michael Tokarczyk says

"My father had mentioned a Defiant crash, after which he spent six weeks in plaster due to a spine injury. I still have his RAF Pilot's Flying Log Book, which shows that he had flown 37 different types of aircraft during his time with the RAF and ATA. According to the Log he had started off with No 6 A.A.C. and then with 9 Group (A.A.C) Flight. He was then moved to 285 Squadron and then A.T.A."

So he was in RAF before ATA so he may not have been in ATA at the time.. especially as 285 Squadron accordingo to Rafweb "Formed at Wrexham on 1 December 1941"

Of course we could be looking for another Defiant Crash completely.....

Thanks

We have all assumed that this entry refers to the pilot...

Defiant File - Alec Brew

T4049 c/n 551 deld to 24 MU 4.4.41:264 Sqn 20.4.41 Engine cut ; crew baled out over Elridge Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 7.9.41: Sgt L. Tokarzyk injured

Of course in this incident Sgt L. Tokarzyk may have been acting as gunner on this mission

PS The Sgt bit also indicates not ATA but RAF as he would have had a ATA grade at point he transferred to ATA in fact Brief Glory has 'First Officer Ludwik Tokarczyk' baring in mind no one has mentioned his age. He was alreadly was an airline captain with the Polish Airline LOT until September 1939 so may have been 'to old' for operational flying and so volunteered as gunner to get back at enemy, until he found a more useful outlet for his experience in ATA.. As Franek has said 'He passed away some 10 years ago in a quite decent age.' and as his son says 'He returned to flying briefly after Stalin's death and retired in 1965. He passed away in 1997.' don't know what the retirement age was but he could easily be in his late 30's by 1941....
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 4th January 2010 at 17:30.

Thanks

Default 264 Sqn ORB for T4049 crash 7-9-41

The date concerned for this incident doesn't touch on this crash in the ORB, for 264Sqn.
    Perhaps it was a non-Op flight out of West Malling. ORBS only list operations of course.
    Night Patrols were the order of the day.
    There's a note in the Sept summary of the 264sqn ORB by SL Kimber describing the 'teething problems' of the Defiant MKII being 'almost cured'.
    However the 264Sqn Defiant that crashed at nearby Wadhurst a year later, was ironically also due to engine failure.

Hope I'm checking the right date

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Paul. Its a bit of a conundrum, I'm inclined to agree with you. IIRC I'd previously asked why he was not listed among 264sqn pilots, and at the time got advised re. ATA. I'm curious now why the form AM1180 states 'night Opl' but that the flight was not mentioned in the ORB?