Thread: Longest serving Sqdn COs?

Thanks

Default Longest serving Sqdn COs?

Hi guys

some squadrons seem to have COs that stayed in charge of a squadron for quite some time, whilst others were only there for days or weeks.

I would be interested to find the longest serving COs of squadrons i.e W/C or S/L X commanded X squadron for X months or even years.

cheers

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Hi Amrit

I have Sqn. Ldr. John A. Boret, who commanded 41 Squadron for 3 years and 10 months, from 1 May 1933-3 March 1937.

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Amrit,
    Sqn Ldr Leslie Runciman CO 607 Squadron from April 1930 until February 1939: almost nine years.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Default Long-serving squadron COs

Hi

I can see that pre-war squadron commanders might have stayed in position for a long time, as these two examples show. This I guess might be especially true of Auxiliary Air Force officers, such as Runciman, who were effectively commissioned into the squadron rather than the force and were therefore difficult to move to another posting without their consent.

But, I wonder, who was the longest serving squadron commander of a frontline unit during wartime? Iíve always thought that Sqn. Ldr. Humphrey Coghlan of 137 Squadron who commanded the unit from 2 November 1941 to 23 May 1943 (19 months by my late-night maths) might be a candidate. Any advance?

Niall

Thanks

W/Cdr Zygmunt Pistl commanded 309 (Polish) squadron from 24 Nov. 1940 until 14 Feb.1943.

309 (Polish) Squadron initially had used Lysanders as Army Co-operation unit then converted to Mustangs as Tactical Reconnaissance unit and finally ended up as purely fighter unit equipped with Mustangs...

Thanks

Thanks chaps. I suspected that pre-war candidates would have longer tenure but didn't know that some served so long in that capacity.

I look forward to any other candidates.

cheers
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/