Thread: P/O J. Chinery - 122431 or 122341

Thanks

Default P/O J. Chinery - 122431 or 122341

Where can I find (free) proof - other than the London Gazette (Issue 35615 publ. 30.6.42 page 8 of 44) - that the svcnr of P/O Jack CHINERY, killed 4-10-1942, must be 122431 instead of 122341, as listed by the CWGC.
    I've 122341 as the svcnr for P/O R.A. AYRES who became PoW 19-8-1942.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk

it maybe worth contacting:

http://www.shropshirewarmemorial.org.uk/wargraves/stokeuponternwar%20graves.html

and asking for a bigger pic of the gravestone, or a transcription of what it says. I've tried enlarging it but to no avail. His number on there may help decide the matter.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Henk,
    I reckon this is a mistake on behalf of the CWGC, as LG gives several hits for Ayres as 122341 and 122431 for Chinery. Ross's pow list also goes with 122341 for Ayres.

Thanks

I know Alan, however CWGC doesn't accept the Gazette info and asked me for other proof like a letter from a Commanding Officer, etc. I can't spend the money to obtain the requested documents just to proof CWGC that their info is in error. Meanwhile still eight messages to CWGC outstanding but concider to stop informing them any longer on errors on their website.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Welting View Post
    I know Alan, however CWGC doesn't accept the Gazette info and asked me for other proof like a letter from a Commanding Officer, etc. I can't spend the money to obtain the requested documents just to proof CWGC that their info is in error. Meanwhile still eight messages to CWGC outstanding but concider to stop informing them any longer on errors on their website.
    Regards,
    Henk.
    I have used a PDF copy of Gazette to get names added before....

I would send them every intance of both occurances!!!!!

Thanks

I'm sure they accepted LG info earlier last year from me was probably cases of two dead men having the dame number on their database.

Perhaps you should suggest they get off their behinds and contact the RAF records to confirm or otherwise, you can tell them that as they well know, you have no means of accessing the mens service records since you are not next of kin, however, you are simply attempting to show them a possible error in their records and if they are interested in having correct and up to date records perhaps whey can use their powers to confirm information you have given them.

I don't mean to be insulting to the CWGC, they can't be responding to everything we send them but you have given them clear information of a possible error from a Government publication which they can surely check with RAF records section. Perhaps copy both the RAF and the CWGC on a reply, give them the possible number duplication and if they wish to look into it they can.

The files of Sgt T F Hyndman R/129026 RCAF who died with him may contain some files but surely the only true confirmation for this should come from RAF Records. Perhaps they won't tell the CWGC any information.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Prehaps you should tell them the London Gazette is one of the official journal of record of the British government

Thanks

Will send a PM to the CWGC Archive Supervisor.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

You could make a request under Freedom of Information FOI. You could do this by e-mail :-

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/RequestForInformationInformationRequestEmailRespon se.htm

They should respond within twenty days. You could include other simliar requests to confirm information.

Mark