Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Big Mystery Polish 'Karubin' 303sqn

Thanks

David, referring to a well known researcher doesn't make an incorrect statement correct. If you read more carefully I quoted some facts. If my facts are right my name won't spoil them, if they are wrong it won't help them.

Thanks

VoyTech,

In my old-fashion opinion, when people make a post over their name then those responding to same should have the courage and the courtesy to provide theirs in turn, or if not with the message then at least in their profile.

Errol

Thanks

I really wanted to know your first name thats all. Of course late Henry's Email may not be 100% watertight, but he must have got something from his 'Gifts of War'.
    His comment 'sent to the Americans by mistake' was based on the period of time EN180 spent with them, see below:
    'EN180 (3590) was fitted with a Merlin M61, and built at Eastleigh, Southampton. Its First Flight was on 6 November 1942. It was initially issued to the
    336th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group of the USAAC on
    17 November and, almost immediately, passed to 64 Squadron on 22 November'
    Thats 5 days max with the 336th, so I have no reason to doubt his comment.
    Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 24th January 2010 at 18:31.

Thanks

David,
    'VoyTech' IS my first name (well, that's not how we spell it where I come from, but if you saw the true spelling you'd probably not know how to say it).
    Henry Boot has been a great man and a thorough researcher, he's helped me a lot in my own research and I hope I helped him a little bit in his. But in this case it seems he was wrong. There were about a dozen Mk IXs in EN1.. serial range sent to 336th FS at the same time, quite a big mistake that would be. The decision to re-direct them all to other units within a few days may have been due to various things, but the unit (133 'Eagle' Sqn RAF, renamed 336th FS USAAF in late 1942) was certainly familiar with the Mk IX by then. Google 'Morlaix mission' and you'll learn more.
    Speaking of 'Gifts of War', Air-Britain have published another splendid Spitfire book in similar format: 'Spitfire International' by Helmut Terbeck, Harry van der Meer and Ray Sturtivant, where you can find individual serial numbers and histories of the 336th FS Spitfire IXs.

Errol
    I respect your opinion but disagree with you.
    This forum is governed by certain rules and one of them is that it is up to each individual to decide what name he or she is going to use. In my old-fashioned opinion, when people decide to use just the first name, or a personal nickname, or any other forum name (as long as it is not offensive) then other forum members should respect their right for privacy.

Thanks

Default Re: Big Mystery Polish 'Karubin' 303sqn

An old thread...
    I'm a bit confused by the references to wreckage of V7290 being held by a (defunct) museum.
    Surely it was Cat 2, and therefore repaired?
    The Air-Britain serials books says it was lost at sea en-route to the Middle East in August 1941.
    Our own database wrongly lists it as lost on 6 May 40.
    Ideas anyone please?