Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Mystery Polish 'Karubin' 303sqn

Thanks

Default Big Mystery Polish 'Karubin' 303sqn

Pembury. Hurricane 1 V7290 (303sqn).
    Shot down by return fire from HE111. Sgt Stanislaw Karubin (Polish Air Force) 793420 (DFM +2bars awarded 30.10.41& KW awarded 31.10.47) slightly injured (admitted to Farnborough Hosp?). Based Northolt. Cat 2.
    Karubin died aged 25 on 12.8.41 at Eskdale, Cumberland, in cloud on the approach to land.

Can someone identify the location of the V7290 please?

It clashes with a similar event in the same village a few days later.

Dave

Thanks

David

I have Fletcher's Farm, Pembury . Wreckage, including the engine, is held by Halstead War Museum.

MotBoBT&N MkV.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Many thanks Dave.
    Hows the snow there? I cant see if Karubin baled out, which he MUST have done mustnt he if his a/c was recovered from the earth by this group after the war.
    Do you have details of Halstead museum? I will ask around.
    The farmer at Fletchers says his late father authorised the dig, but he couldnt recall who they were so thats very helpful.
    The conundrum concerns if the serials on the wreckage were from this a/c.
    Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 8th January 2010 at 21:36.

Thanks

Hello David

Plenty of snow here, looks like it is here to stay for a while too.

Halstead War Museum is probably defunct now, I was quoting from BoBT&N mk V, which itself is over 20 years old, and the first edition nearly thirty. A quick Google search didn't come up with anything except this Andy Saunders' recent reply to an enquiry
    "The Halstead War Museum is a privately owned collection, owned by a Mr Ken Anscombe. The collection used to be open for viewing but has not been for a long time now. I do not know why, or the circumstances, although it was at the owners private home and I suspect he must be getting on a bit now."

What I didn't mention is that some pieces of the a/c are in the possession of Steve Vizard.

Regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Dave again.
    Right thanks. So I've left an Email for Mr Vizzard (at Airframe Assemblies) his company on the Isle of Wight.
    Lets hope he replies.
    Dave

Thanks

Dave

I can confirm your info. Karubin actually claimed that Heinkel (his 5th victory). He was slightly wounded in the leg. The engine from his plane is kept in Headcorn museum, Iíve got a photograph of it taken some time ago by me.
    In 1941 Karubin was killed when his Hurricane V7742 hit the hill in Horn Cragg near Boot (55OTU). To be more specific another Polish pilot was also killed at the same time (Z.Hohne).

Thanks

Dave,

I concur with Peter, regarding the incident in which he lost his life, but would clarify that V7742 crashed on Horn Crag a feature on , and close to the summit of Scafell mountain in the Lake District. Slight Side is also often quoted as the crash location and is the more correct location reference. I would also add that he was not on approach to land but flying in formation with Hohne at the time of the accident. The Form Am1180 states.. "crashed into 2500ft mountain in thick cloud. it would appear that leader was unaware of his posn and and came down through clouds on to high gnd".

Scafell is 2nd highest peak in England in the Lake District and in the north-west of England. Their base of Usworth was at Sunderland on the north-east coast. So not on approach to land !

memorial at the crash site to both airmen but no-doubt well covered by snow at the moment ! I can supply photos of this if required.

Karubin I seem to recall had rammed a German aircraft at some point and gone to ram another which avoided him but crashed. Could be wrong though.

regards Rich
    Last edited by Rich Allenby; 9th January 2010 at 23:38. Reason: extra info

Thanks

Default Karubin

The summary for 303 sqns (Northolt) interception on the morning of 6 Sept 1940 was as follows:

Casualties:
    1DO215 destroyed
    5ME109 destroyed
    1HE111 destroyed

Our Casualties:
    5 Hurricanes Cat3
    2 Hurricanes Cat2

2 pilots injured
    2 pilots slightly injured.

I guess they felt proud of that one! esp. given the following:
    'the sqn was over Western Kent and saw very large formations of enemy a/c moving up from the coast to the east of them and above. Their lack of height forced them to attack climbing and at only 140mph'

The detailed description of this interception that morning on AM form 540, does not include any 'ramming'. Or have I missed something? Thanks for the additional Karubin info however. Yes the photo would be great, would you be able Email a scanned copy? Dont go to great trouble though.
    It must be assumed Karubin baled out, on 6th Sept, since the a/c was excavated, thanks therefore for helping with tracing the current location of the Merlin. I must get to look at the serial on it however.
    Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 11th January 2010 at 13:32.

Thanks

Polish airmen actually accused S/L Kellet and Ops for bringing them to the most unfavourable position. They were unable to penetrate fighter screen and suffered heavy losses because of that. It was especially bitter because their Polish OC, S/L Krasnodębski was badly burned, and finished his flying career this way.
    The famous Karubin's near ramming attack occurred the previous day during the combat over Tameshaven. There were some rumours that he rammed the Heinkel on the next day, but it seems he was just hit by the return fire.

Thanks

Dave, If you would care to email me at richallenby @ worldonline.co.uk

removing the spaces between the @, I will gladly forward everything I have on Karubin's loss.

regards Rich Allenby