Thread: air britain hawks rising 25Sqn history ISBN: 0 85130 307 2

Thanks

Default air britain hawks rising 25Sqn history ISBN: 0 85130 307 2

Hi All,
    Anyone know if this book has anything on the use of the westland whirlwind in 1940,
    debating wether to spend 15 & ( ouch shipping ) but need to justify it to myself...
    cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Jerry

I would hang on to your money. As far as I can see there is nothing in the main text. The book has a substantial appendix which seems to try to record every a/c on charge to 25Sqn and it includes a five line entry for L6845. I will check more carefully and if you would like I will type out what the entry says.

It's nearly dinner time over here you know!

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    It's almost lunchtime here...

If you could type it , it would be great, if you think there are any copyright issues you could pm me the details.
    I was hoping the author might have found some photos...
    cheers
    jerry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brewerjerry View Post
    Hi All,
    Anyone know if this book has anything on the use of the westland whirlwind in 1940,
    Hi Jerry

Speaking personally, I'd say not. There's little in the book about the brief period during which the squadron had the 3 aircraft. What there is I'd also say is somewhat questionable
    in that Mason seems to believe that the Whirlwinds were being trialled there as nightfighters.

BTW: did you know that, in addition to four 25 squadron pilots, Victor Beamish also flew L6845 on June 1st. His verdict: "as ordered".

HTH

Niall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiallC View Post
    Hi Jerry

BTW: did you know that, in addition to four 25 squadron pilots, Victor Beamish also flew L6845 on June 1st. His verdict: "as ordered".

HTH

Niall

Hi Naill,
    not sure if i knew that or not, must add him to the list, seems quite a few flew the whirlwind, I have a note robert stanford tuck flew one at least once, but I haven't found any serial.

O/T but of current interest to me..
    In your research have come across any info about fitting a tail hook to a whirlwind ?

cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Hi Jerry

I have sent the extract on L6845 by PM. I have had another look at the main text and the Appendix and I can't see anything else on 25Sqn experiences with this a/c. It seems possible that the report written by the sqn might have fed into an AAEE report?

Steve