Thread: Sgt James William Clarke Heath 269 sqdn 1940

Thanks

Default Sgt James William Clarke Heath 269 sqdn 1940

does anyone have any information about Sgt James WC Heath 519449. He was serving with 269 sqdn and declared missing in Flight in October 1940. In 1941 he was changed to missing presumed dead (again in Flight). The date given for his death by the CWGC is 28th September 1940. I can't find any records of any significant events with 269 sqdn for that date so don't know how they decide which date to use.

James is my husbands grandfather. He has always been told James was a navigator.

Any help appreciated. My father in law is applying for his service records which may shed some light but if anything else is known I would be grateful

Julie Heath

Thanks

Hi,

28/09/40
    No.269 Sqn
    Hudson I
    P5129

UA-E

P/O L B Emeno
    Sgt J W C Heath
    Sgt J N MacDonald
    Sgt P S Brown

Op: Patrol S.A.1, RAF Wick, Took off 16:20 hrs

Did not return from patrol after sending a brief report near the Norwegian coast that enemy aircraft had been sighted. P/O Emeno over flew Herdla airfield at low level just before two Me109s took off for patrol. The Hudson was chased out to sea then shot down at 19:43 hrs by Uffz Neimayer of 4/JG77. P/O Emeno, from Winnipeg, and his crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

For completeness
    S.A.1
    Crossover Patrol off Norwegian Coast
    58 00N 03 20E
    61 12N 00 45E
    61 20N 02 07E
    57 53N 02 07E

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,

First of all thank you for your prompt reply. That's an amazing amount of information, you are clearly quite an expert in this area. It is so nice to be able to answer the question for my husband. My 8 year old daughter is just learnning about WW2 and it is so good to be able to bring it to life for her too by telling her the story of a real hero she is related to. I think it is so important to keep the stories alive.

Thank you again, your time on this is very much appreciated.

Julie

Thanks

If you Google for 269 Squadron RAF you will find a variety of sources for further information and perhaps why Ross has such in depth knowledge!!
    Sadly the Squadron Old Comrades Association disbanded a few years ago, but some may come forward!
    I also believe that there are model aircraft kits of the Hudson available which may make a useful contribution to your daughters project. You can find a representation of a 269 Hudson here
    http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark266-270.htm#269 and scroll down.