Thread: Loss No90 Sqdn - Night 4/5 March 1944

Thanks

Default Loss No90 Sqdn - Night 4/5 March 1944

Bonjour,

I am looking for some details about the escape of F/O Harry C. Yarwood and F/Sgt Steve T Bulmer, aircrew members of the Stirling EH906 lost night 4/5 March 1944 over Central France. Also, Christine, the daughter of the French family which hid F/Sgt Bulmer would like to join again relatives or children from this English family. Contact was broken when its mother and father passed away. Does exist a No90 Squadron Association or historian to help me in this quest?

Thanks a lot beforehand for your replies.
    Best regards from France,
    Frederic

Thanks

Frederic,
    There are Escape and Evasion reports listed for Yarwood and Bulmer which can be ordered from the National Archives Kew, the references are ..........
    WO208/3319..1926 for Yarwood.
    WO208/3319..1927 for Bulmer.

Thanks

Frederic,

Please contact me off board, I have the reports on file.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Thanks a lot for E&E references Alan.
    Steve, I sent a PM.

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Hello Fred !

I am in contact with Don Farrington who wrote the story of the crew.
    Don came back and I drove him to the crash site,as to the place where he was hid.
    He was in contact with the other of the crew too.

Alain.

Thanks

Bonjour Alain,

By searching two Americans flyers hidden in a farm near Nérondes, France in April 1944 I met Christine the daughter of these farmers and she told me that its family had hidden one English airman a few months before. Its name was Steve Bulmer. I think she would be very pleased to know what you have about this story and to join again the Bulmer family.

Best regards from the Alsace.
    Frederic

Thanks

Hello,

Steve Bulmer must live in UK, and Harry Yarwood in USA.
    THey met Don Farrington at the 90 sq reunion in 1980 and 1982 at Mildenhall.
    Steve and Harry went to paris and crossed the Spanish border.
    I do not know if they are still with us ...

Alain

Thanks

Bonjour Alain,

Thanks a lot for these informations about these two flyers. So Alain, as you are in contact with Don Farrington, there is a chance that Don has the Steve Bulmer address? A last question; is it also possible for me to have the story of the aircrew written by Don? Merci d’avance.

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

I contact Don, hoping that he is in good health, but for his story, I must ask to him as it is like a book, 80 pages of reading,named "The Long Journey Home" dedicated to F/Lt CV French of 90 Squadron .

For the american flyers hid with Bulmer, could be those of the bomber which came down in Loiret ??
    Don met two americans Kitt and Joe, and also three other airman of his own squadron !
    Johnny Allen, Tom Foreman, and Ron Taylor who came down near Gien.
    Johnny and Don came in Vierzon some years ago.
    I drove them to Thenioux where they were hid in a farm with the americans.But someone betrayed the farmer, and he was taken by germans, and never come back from concentration camp.Our flyers had just time to escape ...

Don and Johnny met the son and the daughter of the farmer, the last time, they were little child, it was at the end of May 1944.
    I must say it was very moving, they met too Pearl Cornioley, they were in her group of resistant until the camp was taken by germans, and made POW on 11 june 1944 at "La Taille des Ruines".

Alain

Thanks

Americans were from an aircrew shot down onto Avord Fliegerhorst on April 28, 1944. Two of these flyers were hidden after the passage of Steve Bulmer. Christine contacted a man at Nérondes and he later arranged the escape of Steve. This man was arrested in spring of 1944 (by Paoli, a French of the Bourges Gestapo), with others members of the ring then it was necessary to find another way for the two Americans. Directed towards La-Guerche-sur-l’Aubois, they went to a Maquis organization in the Allier and then…it is long, long story – for example, two of the five escaped flyers fought later with the American OSS! So, I began the writing of a book about this mission and escape. I do that because it is often the case of people (daughters and sons) whom I met during my researches and trips. They know that their parent hid aviators, but they don’t know anything about their mission, their story, the suite of their escape. Voilà.

See you soon.
    Frederic

PS: For the repro and shipping costs of Don story, please Alain, contact me off board. For Christine.