Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: !!!Lancaster JB221 - No 97 Sqdn - Crash on 25./26. November 1943!!!

Thanks

Kevin,

I do not wish to reopen this matter. It is a potential source of friction that the Forum could do without. I have made my views perfectly clear, as has Felix and latterly, Danny. You also made you views clear right at the start when you decided to assist without first stopping to think about the possible consequences or asking some simple background questions. I think it is a shame that you can now not let sleeping dogs lie. I fully intend to.

Jonny
    Last edited by jonny; 24th March 2010 at 07:57.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

I'm a bit shocked, I was sent the attached photograph a few years ago by a lady who had known certain members of the crew. I was surprised to see it, or at least a duplicate, of it appear on the German news item and I am glad that efforts are being made to recover the crew.

Felix, while this picture is interesting to me it is not relevant to my field of interest. If the family do not have an original I would happily forward it onto them. Please PM me.
    [COLOR="Red"]May Contain Nuts[/COLOR]

Thanks

Hi I am the son of DWH Little, mid upper gunner on JB221 I can explain the disrepancy about the serials on the lanc in the picture this picture was taken of the crew when they were on 50 sqadron shortly before they moved to 97 sqn

Thanks

Default Pa 221

Re: PA 221

In Canada, Canwest news service reported yesturday that Canada's military forensic scientist is now working on this case. The report makes note of Felix's discovery and the posting on "a military website".

The report appears on an half page story in THE VANCOUVER SUN newspaper complete with the crew photo. The bio on American Carlos Brown notes his joining the RCAF prior to Pearl Harbour and that relatives had been notified of the discovery and pending DNA analysis of remains.

I garner that this official notification and belated publicity does provide some comfort to the families. I suspect the discussions on this forum helped the process along......Well done!

Ari

Thanks

Hi Ari,

I read that as well.

Had the reporter, Randy Boswell, done a search on that "a military website" he would have found Hugh Halliday's posts from December 2007 on Carlos Brown's Croix de Guerre, from his pre-RCAF days driving an ambulance in France:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quite interesting. We contacted the Canadian Embassy prior to the dig, but I have not heard back from them yet, maybe Felix has. The reason we are keeping a lid on this recovery is because we are going to finish the site once the weather clears up. An hour before we concluded the dig, we found out that the bomber exploded just prior to striking the ground, thus contradicting what every other eye-witness stated. But, looking at the debris field, this now seems to be the most likely scenario. Once the final excavation has been concluded and any further remains recovered the authorities will pick up the remains at that time.
    Danny

Thanks

Default Memorial servie posted on YouTube

Sorry for not posting this earlier. I finally managed to locate the lost video, cut it and post it on YouTube. It took a while to post due to my father, a retired member of the RAF passing away last month and me having to rush back to Germany to arrange the funeral. I am now stationed in the US (*&%%^) and my family is still in Germany. Prayerfully I will return there soon and retire (more time for excavations).
    So anyways, here is the link to part one of the five part memorial service:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOrnnGoiK8I&feature=related
    Enjoy and talk to you all soon. Danny in Tennessee :(