Thread: Library & Archives Canada's future

Thanks

Default Library & Archives Canada's future

I just received this message through an archives listserv I get. It contains some interesting information on the future at Library & Archives Canada. Changes are a ways off yet by the sounds of it and there won't be a lot of money, but I thought it might interest those of us who have used the LAC's services, and wondered if it would ever become digital:

Daniel J. Caron, Librarian and Archivist of Canada, is launching a series of dialogues with the Canadian archival community about the role of Library and Archives Canada (LAC) in the Canadian archival system

Dr. Caron asserts that LAC going forward will emphasize being a digital archives and digital library in terms of its acquisitions and in terms of its services, while still respecting its rich legacy of analogue media from its two predecessor institutions. The Modernization program at LAC is driven by the need to reinterpret the institutionís mandate given the new technological and societal environment in which LAC now operates. Without significant budget increases on the horizon, however, and with the imperative to develop new initiatives as a digital-centric institution, some hard setting of priorities will be necessary, as well as working effectively with partners in the Canadian archival (and library) systems.
    David

Thanks

Good news Dave. This is long overdue in a country where a good portion of us live a day, or several days, driving away from the LAC. At the very least, an updated and more user friendly on line list of microfilms available through Inter Library Loans would help those of us out here in the boonies.