Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Squadron researchers - LM592 KM-Q

Thanks

Have now acquired various memorabilia of Norris, which includes three group photos, identified as follows:
    (a)A.C.R.C. Lords Cricket Ground, London NW8, 5 Squadron, 'C' Flight, Pilot Cadets, April, 1942,
    (b) No 80 (a) course, 'C' Flight, 4 Squadron, 8 I.T.W., Newquay, Cornwall, (the backdrop seems to be the TRENANCE hotel)
    (c) 149 Course, Air Bombers, 10 (0) Advanced Flying Unit, Dumfries, Scotland,
    along with an original of the AWM crew photograph, which each member has signed on the back.
    Would someone please explain what the various initials are and in what order would the three courses have been taken and where in Dumfries would the course have been based?
    Much obliged.
    Stewart

Thanks

Default 44 Sqdn enquiry

I, myself, was with 44 Sqdn from June '45 till December '45, based at Spilsby, Mepal and Mildenhall. However, a friend has told me that his father, P/O R. M. Wicker flew with the Squadron in 1941 in Hampdens and was shot down and became Pow for the rest of the war. He would very much like to hear from anybody who has any further information. He was based at Waddington.

Thanks

Default Sgt R.M. Wicker

Sgt (WOp) R.M. WICKER - 746715 became PoW (Camp 357 Number 238) 29/30-8-1940 on Hampden I serial P4372 of 44 Sqn. Hit by Flak and crashed near Köln (Cologne)-Wahn.
    P/O (Pilot) T.G. HYNES - 41707 - PoW (Camp L3 Number 248). P/O (Pilot/Obs) Cedric O'DUNKELS - 42822 - killed and buried Rheinberg War Cem (first buried at Wahn). Sgt (Airgunner) L.H. WAINWRIGHT - 581120 - PoW (Camp 357 Number 236). Target were oil refineries at Gelsenkirchen.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Stewart,
    My wife is a neice of Air Gunner Louis Joseph Patrick McCoy who died when Lancaster LM592 crashed near Riethoven in the Netherlands on 22 June 1944.
    I noticed you had a copy of the aircrew photograph for LM592 taken some time in 1944 and signed on the back by all the crew in the photograph at the time.
    Although Louis was not in the photograph I was wondering if you could make a copy of the back with the signatures and send it to us as it memorialises the other crew members of that aircraft.
    You may not be aware that there is to be a memorial dedication near Riethoven on the 22nd of June 2019 to mark the 75th anniversary of the crash. This may be of some interest to you.
    Hoping you get this request and can assist us with the photo details,
    Rustyrooster

Thanks

Hi Rustyrooster, Since 1996 I doing research on LM592.Indeed and this year we (Historical Society of Riethoven)on Saturday 22nd June 2019 we will erect a memorial near the site. Most of crew relatives attending. Still looking for the relatives of F/O W.M.Crook, Sgt E.G.Scott and F/O J.R.Vowles.
    Cheers, Adrian