Thread: Unclaimed German Night Fighter

Thanks

Default Unclaimed German Night Fighter

I have recently come across information which indicates that a 78 Sqn Halifax shot down a German night fighter on the night of 23/24 September 1944 near the Dutch town of Weert. The Halifax was returning from bombing Neuss when it was engaged and the crew were forced to abandon the aircraft, three bodies were found in the wreckage, one of which was the Rear Gunner who it is alleged shot the fighter down. The Mid Upper Gunner later claimed that he was told 10 years after the event that the Me110 that attacked them had indeed crashed on the railway line at Weert. Two of the crew evaded as they were close to the advancing allied front line, one was taken prisoner and one was either killed during his parachute descent or was shot once he had landed. Is there anyway to confirm if this this fighter was indeed shot down and if so the identity of the unit and details of the German crew. It is also possible that the Navigator of the fighter was killed in the combat or died as a result of his wouonds.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Default Unclaimed night fighter

Hello Daz,

Do think about halifax "EY-S" MZ763 ?

Best regards

René

Thanks

Rene

yes it is EY - S the rear gunner was a FO Grew who was killed during the combat. But I am trying to confirm the claim that the Me110 was shot down during this combat.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Default Unclaimed nightfighter

Hello Daz,

They were attacked by night fighter 3 times, oueter engines on fire; pilot made the neccesary actions but order was to baled out. 5 could baled out

Campbell killed parachute not open, Nutbrown killed before hitting the ground, Barnes wounded and POW, Grew killed by nightfighter, Bennett and Robert escaped.

The pilot Swanson did not heard about Grew and try to make an emergency landing but was killed.

No info relating that the nightfighter was shot by Grew.

Best regards

René

Thanks

Rene

thank you I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Hello Daz,

According to the lost register 1939-1945 of the SGLO (Studygroup Airwar in the Netherlands)no ME110 was lost in the Netherlands that night.

Mike

Thanks

Mike

thank you for confirming that; I'm now fairly certain that the aircraft involved was flown by Hptm Ernst-Wilhelm Modrow of 1/NJG 1 and that this Halifax was his second success of the night and either his 30th or 31st claim.

Thanks again

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz,

The 2nd claim details by Modrow are as follows, and yes, I've matched this to the loss of 78 Sqn MZ763 (extract from the NJWD 2nd edition manuscript):

Hptm. Ernst-Wilhelm Modrow: 30 1./NJG1 Lancaster 70-80 km. W.N.W. Düsseldorf: 3.200 m. 23.11 78 Sqn Halifax MZ763

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo

thank you I have read several conflicting reports about what happened on that fateful night but I too am certain that it was the 78 Sqn Halifax and not a Lancaster as claimed.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

I've MZ763 connected to Ofw Wolfram Möckel (NJG not known); aircraft crashed near Moesel, 1 km SE of Weert, 2205h.

Henk.