Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaufort L9891 crash 23/07/41 local history contact wanted

Thanks

Default Beaufort L9891 crash 23/07/41 local history contact wanted

Recent contact with fellow Forum member Kevin Mifsud has caused me to get out my papers on the crash of Beaufort L9891 which occured on 23/07/41 in the Bolventor (Bodmin) area of Cornwall.
    I seek to get at the precise location of the crash, preparatory to a visit.
    Various locations are given in AIR records and these are at odds with both Police records and Pilot's memory.
    The way in to this would seem to be through contact with a local history enthusiast.
    Does anyone have a tame contact in Cornwall, who might be able to pass me onto an enthusiast in that area?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave Hatherell

Thanks

Dave
    You might try a Mark Evans at baac3ATcouplandbell.com (replacing the AT of course){British Aviation Archaeology Council - http://www.aviationarchaeology.org.uk/}. He is with a group of archaeological aircraft researchers in the South of England. They may have visited the site in their exploits, or he may know a man who has.
    Also the BAAC Aviation Archaeology Unit (Devon) can be e.mailed at makelawplanATaol.com (again replacing the AT). Don't know of one that covers Cornwall specifically.

Stewart

Thanks

Stewart,
    very much appreciate the inspiration that you have provided. I will make contact with Mark Evans and the BAAC Aviation Archaeology Unit (Devon).
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks

Dave try the guy at the Davidstow Moor memorial museum Camelford Cornwall hes not webbed up but a search of museums should give you a contact telephone number.he may be able to help.
    Bolventor is within a couple of miles of the old airfield at Davidstow moor.
    All the best
    Nick Powell
    Last edited by Nick Powell; 18th November 2007 at 20:20. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Nick,
    excellent lead. I have had my head stuck in Google Earth at a certain resolution. Hey presto! Zoom out a bit and there is Davidstow Moor. I have found the museum at http://cornwallatwarmuseum.mysite.orange.co.uk
    I am obliged to you.
    Dave

Thanks

Dave.
    Rereading the original post you say that you have various locations for the crash site could you post them just out of interest.
    If you visit the area Bolventor is actual where the pub Jamaica Inn is, made famous by the book of the same name.
    I would highly recommend a visit to the museum at Davidstow an excellent little gem all done on a voluntary basis and at the owners own expense.
    It is also worth driving past the museum and out onto the airfield proper where runways peri track etc. are all open for you to take a drive round.The odd Cessna still uses it but it is also a local hot spot for learner drivers as well. My own two sons [11 &15]had a great time going up and down the main runway in our old Volvo during the summer so beware!
    Good luck with the search.
    I have family in the area so if you don't get down there and wanted any photos I am sure that I could arrange it.
    There are two museums on the same site the one i was thinking of is run by a guy who did his national service there and his is nearer the road.
    Cheers Nick
    Last edited by Nick Powell; 19th November 2007 at 20:03. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Nick,
    Crash locations are:
    Beaufort File mile N Altarnun
    22 ORB Bodmin Moor
    Thorney ORB Bodmin Moor
    AIR 25 Altarnun
    AIR 28 Bodmin Moor
    Aircraft record card 1 (or ) mile SW Altarnun
    AHB Near Five Lanes mile SW Altarnun
    Police Canna Frame (sic) Farm 1 mile SSW Five Lanes P Ho.
    Pilot's memory and rough map Tolborough Tor
    You did ask !! And hence my confusion. The Police reference ought to be the most accurate, but against this, the pilot's memory (Don Rogers - now deceased) was of attempting to turn to port for return to St Eval, crossing a large lake and a main road with moor rising ahead. He revisted the area in 1976 and found Dozmary Pool and was directed up a little lane to the north of the A30 where he met up with a farmer who knew of the incident and took them to the spot, fifty yards on from a low stone wall that marked the farm/moor boundary. The wall still bore the gap caused by the Beaufort crashing into it. Upon mention that in postwar years, scrap was still being found - and thrown into a nearby pool in a bog - and 1976 being a drought year - Don and son visited the pool and retrieved bits and pieces.
    Ho hum. My web searching has also uncovered local crashes Halifax PN305 September 1945 and a Seafire March 1948. So this debris may not be conclusive, but a section of stone wall with a bite missing out of it might be.
    I have no hard and fast plans to visit - but I will eventually and it looks as if I need to be looking out for old Volvos carreering about! Davidstow looks a really interesting venue and well worth a visit.
    Cheers Nick and thanks for your help.
    Dave

Thanks

Default beaufort

Hi
    There is someone I know who 'did' bodmin moor for many years in the 80's/90's, back when there was little interest in cornish wrecks. I think this may have been one of the sites, memory is a bit vague. I will e mail and see if he can contact you.
    Cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Gents

Cannaframe Farm is hard against the south side of the A30 at 201/204787.

regards

DaveW

EDIT Tolborough Tor is 2 miles to the SW of Cannaframe at 201/175778
    Last edited by davew; 20th November 2007 at 09:16. Reason: more info added

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flakdodger View Post
    Seafire March 1948

Do you have a serial for that one?

Many thanks