Thread: NRA Guidance please

Thanks

Default NRA Guidance please

Further to my recent postings a friend wishes too research his late Grandfathers service in 180 Squadron and will be in London to visit the NRA.

I suggested he looks at the Squadron ORB which I believe is at reference Air 27 can anyone advise if a further reference would specify the ORB of 180 Squadron as I have to say I have never been there myself.

Any assistance to help locate the relevant documents with minimum confusion would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi, if you mean TNA so it is :

AIR 27/1131 No 180 Squadron: Operations Record Book 1942 Sept.- 1944 June
    AIR 27/1132 No 180 Squadron: Operations Record Book. 1944 July - 1946 Mar.
    AIR 27/1133 No 180 Squadron: Operations Record Book: Appendices 1943 Jan.- 1945 Aug.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

If I remember well there is not necessary TNA visitor card to look on the microfish. A small direction: went on the 1st floor on the left where are the microfish readers, choose one, take the small plastic box with you to the right where are the white drawers. AIR fonds are in the furthermost one. Find one of the abovementioned references, put your box instead of the film and you can search the ORB on the microfish reader. If any problems or question just ask anyone from the staff, they are very kind and very helpful.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello,

I confirm Pavel's info that you don't need a readers's ticket to read the AIR 27 series, which are on microfilms.

It's better to select a microfilm reader on which screen you can take digital pictures (tell your friend to bring his digital camera).

He would need a reader's ticket if he wants to read original documents. I had to renew mine during my last visit and I was quite unlucky to queue for about 20 to 30 minutes... One need to give 2 ID proofs (they also took details from my credit card !!!).

If your friend knows the training units of his grand-father, that may be interesting also for him to check them, and these are originals, so he'd need a reader's ticket for these volumes.

I also recommend No. 2 Group Operations Record Book, also an original. AIR 25/22 covers mars 1936 to December 1940, AIR 25/23 covers 1941-1943 and AIR 25/24 covers 1944. It gives a larger view to the missions carried out by one Squadron (in this case 180) by giving the other Squadrons' part in the raid.

Joss

Thanks

Default TNA research

Many thanks all, as I said never having been to the TNA myself I was not in a position to offer precise information.

Your advice and guidance is much appreciated