Thread: Taxi on roof of Birmingham New Street Station in Blitz

Thanks

Default Taxi on roof of Birmingham New Street Station in Blitz

Dear All
    Can anyone give me any pointers on finding out more about a Taxi that was blown onto the roof of Birmingham New Street Station during the Blitz?
    It was either in 1940 or '41.
    I know it is not much to go on, but does anyone know of and Midlands based Railway society or records office that may know more? A newspaper photo would be great but it was probably not good for morale to show bomb damage.
    Thank you
    James

Thanks

Just in case anyone was wondering what the RAF link was.... it was witnessed by an RAF chap while on leave. The raid was still in progress.

Thanks

Default Black Country Bugle

Other people might have more location specific suggestions, but it might be worth contacting The Black Country Bugle, which is a magazine that covers the history of the Black Country and sometimes includes articles about Birmingham and its environs. This is precisely the sort of story that they would cover. If you dropped them a line and asked them to put in a piece asking readers for help in finding out more about the story, you might get an answer. If you do a search under the magazine title you will bring up its internet site.

Incidentally, if other people are interested in researching airmen or other connections from this part of the UK, there are often obituaries or little articles and reminiscences about the war. It is a very useful and interesting local interest magazine.

Thanks

Dear Natalie
    Thank you for the tip. I will certainly chase it up. It made me laugh though getting a tip on the Midlands all the way from Brisbane! What a small world we live in.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Ah yes, but my father is an ex-Wulfrunian, you see. One of his friends passes the magazine onto him.

Thanks

Our good friend a poster Dyan from New Zealand emails to say:

but there is a guy asking about a taxi which was blown on the roof of New Street Station in Birmingham in the Blitz - I suggest he contacts the following site/forum and a heap of things about WW2 as well as all manner of interesting facts http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk they have people on here who were around at that time.......

Reason she mails is that she is having trouble logging on.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

You may wish to try the Birmingham Post or the Birmingham Evening Mail. They are Brum's main newspapers and were around during WW2. They might even place an 'info wanted ad' in the paper. New Street would have been passed by thousands of folks on route to and from work. Such an incident would probably stick in the memory.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Dear Jonny and Dennis
    Thank you for your tips. I will follow these up. As you say Jonny something like this would stick in the memory. My chap was en route to home leave when he saw it and it obviously made an impression on him.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Thank you Dyan too.
    Best wishes
    James