Thread: Sgt H.C. Loadsman, 61 Sqdn, d 26/10/1940

Thanks

Default Sgt H.C. Loadsman, 61 Sqdn, d 26/10/1940

Hi All

I should be very grateful if anyone could supply any info on the above pilot

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Googlings gives a Google book result for:

The other few: the contribution made by Bomber and Coastal aircrew to the ... By Larry Donnelly.

Hampden X2971, Target Kiel, lost without trace.
    Crew listed as found via Geoff Sullivan's CWGC search engine:

001 HUMPHREY KR 741337 61 SQDN 26/10/1940 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
    002 LOADSMAN HC 740660 61 SQDN 26/10/1940 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
    003 PALLETT DI 649968 61 SQDN 26/10/1940 ROYAL AIR FORCE
    004 WALTER FD 635501 61 SQDN 26/10/1940 ROYAL AIR FORCE

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

mentioned here also:
    http://www.oldvarndeanians.org.uk/roh.htm

It is always work googling when the name is a rare name like this.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Sgt H.C. Loadsman, 61 Sqdn, d 26/10/1940

Hi Dennis

Having been away today for a funeral I was pleased to find your post awaiting my return

Thank you for the info supplied and also for the advice to Google unusual surnames

However, having done so I get the impresssion that Loadsman is not so unusual as it would first appear

Kind regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

It is not rare in the context of searching for the keywords/phrases

Loadsman 1940 RAF
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dear Aubrey
    I hope this helps
    Best wishes
    James

The Hampden File, Harry Moyle, Air Britain, ISBN 0 85130 128 2
    Page 120
    X2971
    61 Squadron
    25-26/10/40
    Ditched in North Sea on return flight
    Sgt HC Loadsman, Sgt KR Humphrey, Sgt DI Pallett, Sgt FD Walter
    All Missing
    Bombing Kiel

Page 160-161
    X2971: The crew of this aircraft were completely out of luck; according to radar reports it had probably gone down in the sea off the Lincolnshire coast. No sign of the crew or aircraft wreckage was found next morning when three of 61 Squadron’s Hampdens carried out a search of the area, but one of the searching aircraft encountered a Heinkel He 115 floatplane which it shot down “after an exciting twenty-minute chase.” The victorious Hampden pilot, PO Massey, watched the Heinkel crash onto the sea and break up. The crew of the floatplane sat disconsolately on the wreckage with no sign of a dinghy, so PO Massey dropped his own dinghy near the erstwhile foe. The Germans used the dinghy to good advantage and paddled ashore at Hemsley in Norfolk, 22 hours after they had been shot down.
    Sgt Horace C Loadsman, pilot of X2971, whose name together with those of his crew appear on the Runnymede Memorial, was a 23 year old RAF Volunteer Reserve pilot from Brighton; his name had already appeared in the records when he was carrying out his flying training on Hampdens with 76 Squadron at Upper Heyford on 6th March 1940. His natural exuberance obviously over rode his better judgement thus:
    “Whilst carrying out unauthorised low flying in P1179, Sergeant Loadsman flew into a 11,000 volt electricity supply line near the Oxford to Witney by pass at Eynsham. The aircraft was damaged. Sergeant Loadsman was arrested and charged.”
    At a subsequent court martial, he was reduced to the rank of Aircraftman Second Class. An entry in the 16OTU record books shows Horace having resumed flying training on 20th June 1940 as a sergeant and, after successfully completing his training with no further electrifying experiences, he was posted to 106 Squadron, which was at that time the Aircrew Pool Squadron, on 15th July 1940 and thence to 61 Squadron.

Handley Page Hampden & Hereford Crash Log, Nicholas Roberts, ISBN 0 904597 34 2
    X2971, 61 Squadron, 25/10/40 Lost on return from operations over Kiel, over the North Sea, Four missing. Cat.W. (destroyed – write off)

Thanks

Default Sgt. H.C. Loadsman

Dear James

Thank you for that very interesting quotation

His relatives always thought that his aircraft came down in The Channel so I'm sure that they will be extremely grateful for this information

Kind regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Dear Aubrey
    I am pleased it was worth typing it all out! The Hampden File is pretty reliable but as with any work, published or otherwise there is always the possibility of error. If you are in contact with his family it may be worth doing a next of kin application to the RAF AHB. There may be the possibility that the aircraft sent out a Mayday.
    I am researching an aircraft that the pilot once reported coming down near Boulogne. The aircraft ditched a few miles off Margate!
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Default Hellon Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    Dear James

Thank you for that very interesting quotation

His relatives always thought that his aircraft came down in The Channel so I'm sure that they will be extremely grateful for this information

Kind regards,
    Aubrey
    I'm not sure which relatives you are speaking of (?) but my family (Including my Grand Mother who was his wife) never thought the plane came down in the channel - We were always that it was in the North Sea.
    Kay

Thanks

Default Info

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    Hi All

I should be very grateful if anyone could supply any info on the above pilot

Regards,
    Aubrey
    Do you still need any information about HC Loadsman?
    I would be interested to hear if you have any that we don't have or if maybe we have information that you may like.

Please let me know,
    Kay
    HC Loadsman's Grand-daughter
    Last edited by Kay; 20th September 2010 at 11:16. Reason: spelling