Thread: F/O FULFORD, David, DFC Missing (Rodeo) in Spitfire IX BR622 over Le Touquet by FW190

Thanks

Default F/O FULFORD, David, DFC Missing (Rodeo) in Spitfire IX BR622 over Le Touquet by FW190

I'd be very interested if anyone can add any detail regarding this Pilot, shot down in November 1942.

FULFORD, David, DFC Fg Off RAFVR 63787 02/11/42 Missing (Rodeo) in Spitfire IX BR622 over Le Touquet by FW 190s; same action as Sgt G W Keans. Age 22 from Dinnington, Yorkshire. No known grave, commemorated on Runnymede Memorial, Panel 67

This web site http://www.cieldegloire.com/sq_raf_611.php suggests that his aircraft was shot down by an FW190 from JG 26.

Is there a way to cross reference this with Luftwaffe records ?

many thanks

Thanks

Short answer is yes.

LW claims for the day were:

Day Phase: 2. November 1942
    Kanalfront: R.A.F. Fighter-Sweeps:
    02.11.42 Uffz. Georg Granabetter: 1►  6./JG 26 Spitfire  10 km. S.W. Boulogne: 100 m. 15.23-25 Film C. 2035/II Anerk: Nr.98
    02.11.42 Uffz. Gerhard Vogt: 9 ► 6./JG 26 Spitfire  10-15 km. S.W. Boulogne: 100 m. 15.24-26 Film C. 2035/II Anerk: ASM
    02.11.42 Fw. Adolf Glunz: 23 ► 4./JG 26 Spitfire  10-15 km. W. Berck-sur-Mer: 7.000-500 m. 16.57 Film C. 2035/II Anerk: Nr.122

I don't know what time of day or under what circumstances your man was lost, but the locations may help. The notations are fairly self-explanatory except for Anerk, which means confirmed, and ASM. which means the claim was not confirmed (yet).

All from Tony Woods' marvellous files here:

http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/tony/tonywood.htm
    Last edited by mhuxt; 23rd January 2010 at 01:49.

Thanks

David Fulford was reported to have enlisted in Oct 39 and gained his commission in Apr 41. His DFC citation in the Supplement to the London Gazette, 4 November, 1941 read:
    Pilot Officer David FULFORD (63787), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 118 Squadron.
    This officer has participated in a number of operational sorties. During these operations he has been responsible for damaging enemy wireless stations and anti-aircraft posts; he has also damaged a number of ships. Pilot Officer Fulford has displayed courage and keenness and has destroyed two 'enemy aircraft and assisted in the destruction of a further two.

His next of kin was reported as his father Wing Commander H F Fulford. His brother John Michael was killed, also aged 22, a year earlier when his Wellington (R1374) was lost on a raid on St Nazaire on 7/8 May 1941. Having been born is Sheffield, David attended the King Edward VII school.

The Battle of Britain roll of honour shows he also served with 64 and 19 squadrons.

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Default Many many thanks

many thanks to you both for such a rapid response.

My interest is primarily with his brother as I'm trying to trace the relatives of the crew of Wellington R1374. The Town in France where it came down (Pont Saint Martin) plan a 70th anniversary commemoration in 2011 for Wellington R1374 and Hampden AD750.

I'm working with ABSA in France
    (see http://www.absa39-45.asso.fr/Pertes%20Bretagne/Loire%20Atlantique/pertes_raf_loire_atlantique.html)

This is similar to he project I carried out a few years ago for Stirling BK646, where I got incredible help and support from this forum. It's harder this time around as all the crew were killed, and most were too young to have married. Hence we are looking for siblings or more likely the children of siblings, and inevitably people who are somewhat distant from the events and people involved.

Regarding this project, so far we are in contact with the families of HEYWOOD, HARRIS and FULFORD, from R1374 and INNNISS from AD750. So I still have to trace HART, SAVAGE and READ from the Wellington and FRANCO, COULSON and THOMAS from the Hampden.

Last night I spoke with John Michael Fulfords cousin, who informed me that his cousin also had a brother David who was with fighter command. I said I would find out as much as possible about both David and John.

You have both aided me considerably.

Thanks

Default Fulford

HI there newby here my late farther knew the fulfords and i can retell some storys about them also there are persanol some items that i know of that are in safe hands if you want to know any more please get in toutch Andy

Thanks

Hi Andy,

I'd be very interested to get in contact. I'm in contact with John Fulfords cousin, the curator of his old school and a number of historians, so we have much to share.

I can PM you or you can contact me at jonathanDOTivesATgmailDOTcom
    (swap the DOT for a . and the AT for an @)