Thread: Lancaster NG137 Nose Art XY-D 186 Squadron

Thanks

Default Lancaster NG137 Nose Art XY-D 186 Squadron

Morning,
    I'm trying to identify the nose art on this Lancaster - see image http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/ab64/lenton.jpg which I believe is this aircraft.

The crew in this picture flew around 24 ops in this Lancaster, but were lost in NG147 in February 1945.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Thanks

Alistair,
    If i'm not mistaken the cartoon character is Dagwood Bumstead, who featured in the comic strip "Blondie" and by enlarging the photo it does possibly appear to say Dagwoods Snack, he was known for his huge sandwiches.
    Last edited by AlanW; 23rd January 2010 at 12:43.

Thanks

A "Dagwood" was indeed (at least in our household) a VAST sandwich - quite beyond anything My Lord Sandwich (or MacDonald's) ever dreamed of! Apart from the slices of bread (at top and bottom) there may have been an additional, intervening, slice of bread in the middle. The purpose of this was to separate the various fillings. Toasted top, fried bacon and mushrooms, slice of fried (on both sides!) bread, two (or more) fried eggs, and then the bottom slice of toasted bread!! There were rumours of Dagwoods having been seen with TWO intervening slices of bread (thus THREE separate fillings!) - but these are unsubstantiated!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you both for your help - studying the picture under a magnifying glass it ties in with the images of Dagwood I found on the web, the odd hair is enough to make me sure thats who it is. As for the name, I think the second word starts SP.... so possibly DAGWOOD SPECIAL.

Thanks again

Alistair

Thanks

Alister,
    I think i'll have to agree with you on Dagwood Special after a second look.

Thanks

If you google "Dagwood Special" the first entry up explains the trivia behind the comic strip, answering the question "What is a Dagwood Special?"

Now, that I think about it what a brilliant name for an aircraft that could could carry seven tons of bombs.

"Everything in the fridge, especially late at night" describes Bomber Command perfectly.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

I used to love reading Dagwood & Blondie comics when I was young, in the 1950s & remember Dagwood's big, layered, sandwiches. So I presume the comics were around in the 1940s or earlier if used as nose art on WW2 bombers ?

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 23rd January 2010 at 15:49.