Thread: More lost airmen of Bridlington

Thanks

Default More lost airmen of Bridlington

I realise my other thread was getting a little over long so thought I'd sart a new one just to try and get the last few bits of info I need.

AC 1 Frank Chivers 985665 I've found a vague suggestion he was killed bombing in Brighton but use any further info

Flt Lt John Henry Robson 121950 DFC, would like to know of whetjer he was on heavies prior to flying Mosquitos & if so with whom. Also any citation for his DFC.

More obscurely

S Sgt Eric Brian Wikner 4393249 Glider Pilot Regt. Killed during Operation Husky but wonder if there's any further details available.

Wireless Telegraphist Harry Pinder. Again a vague suggestion he was killed in an air crash flying from HMS Nile 04/07/1943 but I have nothing else.

As always, any help you have would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Hi John
    From CWGC,Frank Chivers' unit was 957 Balloon Sqn and at the time of his death in Dec '40 the unit was based in and around Yeovil,Somerset. There is the death of a Frank Chivers,26, registered in Bristol in the 4th Qtr of 1940.
    From "Flying Training and Support Units since 1912"- Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin the unit was classified as Mobile when it was re-constitued at Yeovil, and it need not be surprising that one or more of it's Balloons was deployed within the Bristol area as demand arose.We are within the period of the more intensive of the German bombing campaigns against the UK and Bristol was a Target City
    Harry Pinder is recorded on Naval History.net as being killed in an a/c accident whilst serving at HMS Nile. The unit was a shore establishment at Ras el Tin Point,Alexandria.I don't Know what it's function was or what a/c was involved. CWGC has him as Commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial which suggests that he has no known grave. I presume that your source is a memorial and not an actual grave.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 23rd January 2010 at 19:32.

Thanks

Hello John/Dick,

Warrant Telegraphist Harry Pinder, was killed aboard No.511 Sqn Liberator II AL523, which crashed, on 4-7-1943, after a night take-off from Gibraltar.

It is believed that Pinder was a Secret Service agent, being one of two onboard (the other being Walter H. Lock). Pinder's body was never recovered, and After The Battle No.20 - The Death of General Sikorski, p.18, states that - "No record of Pinder appears in the British or Gibraltar Register of Deaths".

See also:

http://rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6024

Others will tell you more.(I'm focusing on Pinder).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th January 2010 at 05:52.

Thanks

Robson - Joined RAF 1939 at Padgate, NCO number 1053682, Commissioned LG 9/6/1942. No citation.

Wikner killed op Operation Ladbrook. 8 Horsas were to carry 1st Air Landing Brigade to attack the Ponte Grande just south of Syracuse. 1 reached the target, 1 crashed at the target killing crew (could be Wikner) 3 missing, 3 landed short of target.