Thread: Halifax LV906

Thanks

Default Halifax LV906

Hi guys

a bit of a longshot but I am looking for a picture of the crew of Halifax LV906 (10 Squadron) lost on 24/25th May '44.

I am particularly interested in a pic and/or info on F/O Frederic Robert Singh (RAAF 414093). Sadly his files haven't been digitised.

The only other info I can find on the Australian database(s) is that he appears in a film of liberated POWs, but there are no stills from it.

Though I have absolutely no proof I am intrigued by the surname Singh, as it is usually the surname/middle name of Sikhs. He appears to be born in Australia, and his NoK is given as Frederic Singh (senior?).

Anyway, I am not expecting a fully turbaned sikh ;) but any background info would be of good just to sate my interest. All probably just a coincidence.

cheers all
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit

This turned up while I was working on the POW Databases.

Yes he is Indo-Australian descent
    http://australianindianhistory.com/f...-f-p-o-w-wwii/

Thanks

Jagan,

Frederic Robert Singh changed his name (by deed poll), to Frederic Robert Stuart on 30 May, 1949. Later, after rejoining the RAAF (Service No. O25954), he served in Admin in the Special Duties Branch, with seniority of 20 August, 1952.

No.10 Sqn Halifax III LV906 took off from Melbourne, Yorkshire, not Melbourne, Victoria! Other sources state that he did not bale out of Halifax LV906, but was still on board when the aircraft crashed near Born (Limburg), in Holland. He sustained severe injuries, in particular a compound comminuted fracture of the left tibia and fibula (which became infected), a fracture of his right scapula, lacerated knees and face and black eyes.

Martin Middlebrook interviewed Frederic Singh/Stuart for his book, The Berlin Raids:

Few crews of the Main Force had been to Berlin before. The disclosure of the target produced a ripple of excitement and apprehension. One man says, 'It was the target every aircrew member wanted to see in his log book for the prestige that name gave it, but it also caused the greatest surge of fear', although among the Stirling crews of 214 and 620 Squadrons at Chedburgh, 'Morale was so good, despite our losses getting higher, that there was a great roar of joy at having a crack at the Big City.' Flight Sergeant F. R. Stuart [sic], a young Australian air gunner on 10 Squadron, reflects the feelings of many first-timers to Berlin.

I had done quite a few ops, but never to Berlin. I suppose I knew it would only be a matter of time before it would come up. However, I'll never forget that briefing, when the curtain covering the map of Europe was swept aside and - there - the tapes ran to the great, evil looking, blood-red blob - Berlin - the Big City!

That night, before we took off, I know my turret had an extra polish. My guns were in perfect condition - and that left only me.

I remember quite well how I broke out in a cold sweat - and yet a feeling of relief. At last. How would I go? I was fairly confident of my ability as an air gunner by this time, but Berlin! This was different. If I could handle this one, then I could handle anything, whispered the youthful voice of self-confidence - and yet a little more fear than usual ran through me.

See:
    The Berlin Raids:R.A.F. Bomber Command Winter 1943-44.
    Middlebrook,Martin.
    London:Viking,1988.
    pp.34-5 & 390.

and ...

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C188869

Frederic Robert Hamilton Stuart passed away in Queensland in January, 1990.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th February 2019 at 11:45.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Jagan (9th February 2019)