Thread: Lancaster JA709, 156 Squadron, 27/7/43

Thanks

Default Lancaster JA709, 156 Squadron, 27/7/43

Looking for any info on this aircraft and its loss during the second raid of the Battle of Hamburg, my main interest is in the W/Op Sgt George Law Campbell but always interested in the bigger picture. Sgt Campbell normally flew with F/O Pritchard but on this operation he was with F/O Crampton - the mission before they returned early as F/O Pritchard was sick I guess he was still ill and so Sgt Campbell was free to fill in for (F/L Bagg was the normal W/Op but not sure why he wasnt on that night).

They were shot down by Gunther Radush in the area of Vollerwick - from Middlebrooks book on the battle it was the first Bomber lost to fighters on the raid and was serving as a route marker. This was Campbells 10th Operation.

I plan getting hold of the service records of the 2 RCAF crewmen.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Thanks

Hi Alistair
    May I suggest you go to the 156 Squadron website and search the crew data base. It will give you all kinds of information on the various missions, crew members etc. You can also search the ORBS for the dates for other details on the operations..
    Leslie

Thanks

Alistair,
    If you want any info from the 156 ORB, let me know as i have it for 1943.

Thanks

Hi Both
    Leslie - I think you may have helped me via another forum a bit back with the relevant ORB entries for Sgt Campbells flights. I made heavy use at first (and still frequently look at - and am following the 101 Squadron page for another bit of research) the 156 Squadron website to complete the picture of the crew and their flights - the ORBs on the site seemed to only be an overview and select entries - also when I try click on the ORB slide links it has always just come up as a red cross - I figured that was part of a work in progress.

Thanks

Alistair