Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancasters ME717 24/4/44 & ME795 21/6/44 630 squadron

Thanks

Default Lancasters ME717 24/4/44 & ME795 21/6/44 630 squadron

Looking for any info on these 2 aircraft losses, both involved the same crew - the rear gunner died in the first crash landing - his replacement was killed in the second crash. My primary interest is in F/Sgt J D Jones the Mid-Upper.

The First Lancaster was hit on a raid to Munich and diverted to Corsica where it crashed landed and the rear gunner was killed the crew returned to Ops and on a later mission to Wesseling they were again attacked and made it back to England before the crew bailed out - the rear gunners parachute had been damaged and he was killed attempting a tandem jump with the Bomb Aimer.

I have the A705s for both from the Australian archives - and the story of the second loss is covered in several books, but always interested in more information if available.

The pilot was an Australian F/O Lionel Rackley who has had bits of his story in several books - The Lancaster at War - Bless you Brother Irvin - Nuremberg (all of which I have) - Angry Skies (still to get) - interested to know if he has contributed to any other books. Their is an audio recording of his in the Australian Archives that is on my list to get at some point.

Thanks for any help

Alistair

Thanks

Hi Alistair
    Not much specific. Have partially researched LM118 which was lost on the Wesseling raid and all crew buried at Eindhoven. Have partial copy of ORB for the night showing ME795 and recounting the story of the bale-out in the notes, if you haven't already got it.
    Stewart

Thanks

Hi Alastair,

Re: AUS413786 Douglas Stewart MORGAN BEM RAAF:

Surname: MORGAN
    Given Names: Douglas Stewart
    Notice Type: Death Notice
    Date: 07 April 2005
    Type: Death
    Other Details: Late of Longueville, formerly of Dubbo, NSW
    Publication: Sydney Morning Herald
    Published: 12 April 2005

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

Col.

Thanks

Hi,
    Stewart, If you could let me have copies of the ORB that would be great - the baleout is covered well in the books mentioned, but with each new source it adds little details to complete the picture.

Col, thanks for that, Morgan was the Bomb Aimer who offered to jump with the rear gunner but they became seperated as they left the aircraft - his BEM was awarded for this attempt.

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

OK Alistair
    If you PM me your e.mail, I'll forward it.
    Stewart

Thanks

Alastair,
    There is a photograph of "Blue" Rackley and his crew prior to take-off for the Juvissy raid in April 1944 in Geoff Copeman's "Bomber Squadrons at War", published by Sutton Publishing Ltd.

Thanks

Thanks Bill,
    I'll have a look for that and add it to my collection ASAP the AWM has a few pictures in their archive of ME717 plus Rackley and Sgt Jones the Flight Engineer in their collection.

Rackley seems to have been quite helpful to authors over the years as he seems to have contributed his story a few times - always interested to hear of more examples.

Thanks again

Alistair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Alastair,
    There is a photograph of "Blue" Rackley and his crew prior to take-off for the Juvissy raid in April 1944 in Geoff Copeman's "Bomber Squadrons at War", published by Sutton Publishing Ltd.
    Hi Bill,
    Got the book in today, thanks for that recommendation, its an excellent picture - now I just need to work out who is who - a little challenge when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again

Alistair

Thanks

Reading the relevant part of the book abut the ME717 incident with reference to the death of the rear gunner it says "The record was less than sympathetic, making the comment that he should not have been in the turret in an emergency" can anyone suggest what record this would be?

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

Alistair,
    I would suggest that this would be a record of the inquiry into the incident. The inquiring officer/s would record their conclusions as to what happened and would add their comments such as those concerning the gunner's death.