Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Awards, 14 June 1945

Thanks

Thank you so much for this, my son will be very pleased

Thanks

Default How strange..

I was researching something completely different for work and found this page and saw :

HIGGS, Douglas George, Acting Flight Sergeant - BEM - 450614 - 176 Sqn - RAF

This sounds like my Grandad.. is there any more information you may have under this person?

Thanks kindly.

Jon

Thanks

Default Higgs

HIGGS, Douglas George, Acting Flight Sergeant (523127, Royal Air Force) - No.176 Squadron - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 June 1945. Public Record Office Air 2/9056, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation.

"Flight Sergeant Higgs joined this squadron on its formation in 1943. As Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of the Servicing Flight he rendered valuable service in organising the ground personnel quickly on the arrival of the unit in India. Since then e has been responsible for the Squadron maintenance and this work has covered, almost without a break, one or more distant detachments. As No.176 Squadron was the first night fighter squadron to operate east of Suez he has had to contend with continual difficulties regarding spares and there has also been a high rate of jungle sickness among personnel. At all times he has set an inspiring example to his men and he has worked untiringly for their welfare. Flight Sergeant Higgs previously served in Malta during a period when the island was subjected to almost continual air attack,"

Thanks

Default Group Captain Louden

LOUDEN, James Arnold Hamilton, GC - MiD - 450614 - Ballah Station - RAF

I was interested to see GC Louden listed. I found a MID for him in the London Gazette for 1st January 1945 but could find no entry for the Burthday Honours list.

I am a complete novice in such research and so I would be interested to know what linked him to RAF Ballah as I know nothing about his career after 1938.

Thanks

Default Louden award

LOUDEN, James Arnold Hamilton, A/G/C (26013) - Station Ballah - Mention in Despatches - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 June 1945. Public Record Office Air 2/9056, courtesy of Steve Brew, has recommendation for an OBE, Birthday Honours List, 1945; this award substituted.

"Group Captain Louden was appointed to command this station on the formation of No.51 ITW [Initial Training Wing ?] and No.10 Air Gunner School in November 1943. By hard work and perseverance he has succeeded, in spite of many difficulties, in building up a large instructional Station under desert conditions. His efforts and fine leadership have resulted in a high standard of instruction combined with excellent discipline and cooperation between all units. Group Captain Louden has set an excellent example and has taken a great interest in the work and welfare of all ranks."

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

I was about to confirm you ITW as Initial Training Wing but according to RAF Flying and training units by Sturtivant:

No. 51 Initial Training Wing - was to form 26.2.44 at Bridgnorth but cancelled.
    So it does not fits and also the "desert conditions" are strange for Bridgnorth:-)

but there is mentioned No. 51 (Air Gunners) Initial Training School, formed 1.9.43 in Ballah, 15.10.44 Elementary Air Gunners element closed, disbanded 30.4.45.

According to the same book Ballah = El Ballah = LG203 and there was:

No.13 Air Gunner School formed 11 November 1943, not No. 10 which was in Castle Kennedy

Hope this notes will help you to make the whole picture.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

This is fantastic information, many thanks to both of you.

Thanks

Thanks very much for your efforts,
    Digger

Thanks

Default Dennis Upstone

Thankyou for that. I am sorry to reply this late!!!! My parents Bestman at wedding in 1945 was a Jack Halliday!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post
    UPSTONE, Dennis Stanley, Sergeant (905778, Royal Air Force) - RAF Station Benson - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 June 1945. Public Record Office Air 2/9094 has citation.

"Has been employed in the Photographic Reconnaissance Intelligence Section at Heston and at Benson for nearly five years. He has a remarkable knowledge of the history of Photographic Reconnaissance which, combined with his pleasant personality and willingness to help others, has made him a valuable member not only of the Intelligence Section but of the Photographic Reconnaissance organization as a whole. During the busy period around D Day this airman's capacity for hard work and his organizing ability was largely responsible for the smooth functioning of his section."

Thanks

I know this thread is very old but my girlfriends grandmother has been looking for information on her dad for a very long time so if anyone could publish his citation his name is:

SMITH, Stanley Frederick, Warrant Officer - MBE - 450614 - Air Pubs Unit, Middle East - RAF

Thank you :)