Thread: Seaport 1, 2, 3 and 4, Yorkshire Coast, 1940

Thanks

Default Seaport 1, 2, 3 and 4, Yorkshire Coast, 1940

Hi guys

On 9 April 1940, 41 Squadron's Yellow Section was ordered to patrol ‘Seaport 4’. The codename is previously not mentioned in the ORB, nor indeed afterwards.

However, a seperate, unrelated, hand-drawn map I have come across, which plots the movements of an interception just a few days beforehand, shows the locations of Seaport 1, Seaport 2, Seaport 3 and Seaport 4 down the Yorkshire coast, but it does not name any actual locations.

I have tried to match the locations of these codenames against a proper map and they appear to match Hartlepool (Seaport 1), Saltburn (Seaport 2), Whitby (Seaport 3) and Scarborough (Seaport 4).

Can anyone confirm if my assumptions are correct, or otherwise correct me, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Anyone? Anyone? Buhler?
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Saltburn is not a port. The nearest would be Middlesborough, or rather what is now called Teesport. The codenames may have not been meant so precisely. Edit: My wife has pointed out that Saltburn does have the very distinctive feature of the Huntcliff, so could be a very suitable point of reference/rendezvous, port or not.

However, Hartlepool isn't Yorkshire. If they were all meant to be Yorkshire, then perhaps they are starting at the Tees and 2 could be Staithes?
    Last edited by Graham Boak; 15th February 2009 at 10:24.