Thread: bombing exercises at OTU's

Thanks

Default bombing exercises at OTU's

Whilst my late father was training as w/op at 10 OTU Abingdon he flew on several bombing exercises. I am informed that the range was to the left of the A338 between Frilford and East Hanney.
    Can anyone tell me of a typical bombing exercise and if real or dummy bombs were used. I always thought live bombing was restricted to isolated ranges such as the Wash.
    Thanks for your responses in advance.
    Paul

Thanks

I cannot comment on the locations of the bombing ranges. However according to the British Ordnance manual I have, the bomb-type used was a specific practice bomb, titled as such, and ranged in weights from 8-25 lbs. The bomb burst with a flash and a puff of smoke on detonation.

Jim

Thanks

Default Bombing Range

Paul
    There was a practice bombing range to the east of the A338 at Fordingbridge and South of the B3078 at Ashley Walk. If you look at google earth you will see a light coloured circle/fryingpan shape, this was an aiming point. To the north of the road at this point was a weapons effect test area. It makes a fine Sunday walk.
    Alan

Thanks

Default Marcham Bombing Range

Belated reply, having just started using Google to search the forum as per sticky.

The range near Frilford/East Hanney was Marcham and the target was rougly located at SU 447 942. In GE on the 1945 layer the direction arrow is also visible with the target shown as a smudge due, no doubt, to ploughing post war (1945 in GE = 1944-1953)

Thanks

Does anyone know if any plans exist for this range or documents regarding the requisitioning of land? Also what would the typical danger area be for a range like Marcham?
    Thanks

Thanks

"...tell me of a typical bombing exercise and if real or dummy bombs were used..."
    ======================
    I have a Lancaster crew in the middle of a 30-op tour practising the dropping of sandbags during March 1945.
    I don't know if the sandbags were dropped in lieu of bombs, or if the dropped sandbags were intended to be used by people on the ground.
    Last edited by grounded; 4th July 2014 at 23:00. Reason: grammar

Thanks

"I have a Lancaster crew in the middle of a 30-op tour practising the dropping of sandbags during March 1945."

Probably training for Operation Manna. The free dropping ( no parachutes ) of bags of food commenced on the 29th of April, 1945, so the timing sounds right.