Thread: RAFM photo collection

Thanks

Default RAFM photo collection

Hello,

Does anyone know what's going on with the RAFM photo collection? In many old publications can be find many photos coming from their collection (usually starting with a "P"), but it seems that they are no more available, or only a tiny part available from their site.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil,

I believe the Museum has millions (literally) of photos, but is reliant on volunteers to catolgue them. After making an enquiry two or three years ago I was told it was no longer possible to provide glossy copies by post as the Museum's megre resources were being directed towards the cataloguing.

As I understand it one is still able to visit the museum to view photos and identify copies for personal use, but the number of seats available for viewing is very small.

As usual I'm happy to be proven wrong - but I foolishly turned up last year thinking there'd be plently of seats as there are in the National Archives, only to be told they were booked for about two weeks.

I don't recall seeing an online catalogue either.

Brian

Thanks

Does the RAFM hold photos taken during the War by the Ministry of Information?

Does it include unpublished photos?

I have one of my grandfather at readiness in his Spit in Malta 1942 taken by the Ministry of Information, but the existing photo is deteriorating.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

They are at IWM I think. Nonetheless, I would not rely on a chance the photo is there. Plenty of overseas photos never made to the official collection. I would strongly recommend to scan the photo at the highest possible quality. If it is faded, then the original contrast may be restored, and a new print made. Slight damage could be removed as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
    They are at IWM I think. Nonetheless, I would not rely on a chance the photo is there. Plenty of overseas photos never made to the official collection. I would strongly recommend to scan the photo at the highest possible quality. If it is faded, then the original contrast may be restored, and a new print made. Slight damage could be removed as well.
    Thanks Frank for the advice. I know that the photo was unpublished, so probably didn't make it to the collection.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Adrian,

It's a relatively simple matter to repair a faded, damaged, photo. If you don't have the facility (Photoshop or anything similar) I could do it for you. You can email me via my profile.

Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Adrian,

It's a relatively simple matter to repair a faded, damaged, photo. If you don't have the facility (Photoshop or anything similar) I could do it for you. You can email me via my profile.

Brian
    Thanks Brian,

I might just do that. Problem is, I'm in Canberra, photo is in Brisbane :-)

Regards

Adrian

Thanks

Hello All.

Phil - I wrote to the RAFM in July last year asking about this as I had found a number of images on their Navigator Online Collections http://navigator.rafmuseum.org/highlights.page.do that were of interest to me. Also I had a number of images noted from a visit many years ago that I wished to order when funds permitted. The reply I had from the Curator of Photographs said "I am afraid the only way to buy prints is through our service at www.rafmuseumphotos.com It takes longer to get images onto this site because of the need to ensure they are the best possible quality for printing. I hope you can find images of interest." Unless the list has been added to it is still a miniscule fraction of their holdings.

Adrian - I can confirm what Franek says about MOI images being at the IWM. Several years ago I met by chance the chap who was in charge of the photographic collection and he confirmed to me that the vast bulk of Second World War imagery had originated from that source. They have a very good ever expanding online catalogue so well worth checking. The good thing is you can order the images though confess I've never used the facility.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

The offer's always there Adrian, a scan at the highest resolution will be OK.

Brian