Thread: Squadron colours and squadron silver.

Thanks

Default Squadron colours and squadron silver.

Does anyone know what happened to the squadron colours and squadron silver of disbanding wartime squadrons and how were they later recovered should the squadron reform postwar?

Thank you.
    Norman

Thanks

Colours are laid up in St Clement Danes in the Strand.

Edit- Looks like the Rotunda at Cranwell was too drafty. The disbanded colours at St Clement are replicas, real ones spirited off to the college.

Mess silver to the MoD vault unless the latest defence cuts mean that new training squadrons cannot afford silver then they are given a reserve number plate of a famous squadron and the archived silver is dusted off for their use.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Norman,
    Unless 'shot down' by earlier (or later) posts. Disbanded Sqn Silver went into what I was told was The Central Messing Fund. Now exactly what this was(is), where it was(is) located, and who looks after the (sometimes very valuable, and antiquarian) objects in it's care was never made known to me in detail - or I've forgotten.
    I will give you an example. When the Officer's Mess at 3 Group (Mildenhall) closed the Mess Silver went into the Central Messing Fund. I was, then, a meterologist (Sgt equivalent) at Mildenhall. We then had the ceremonial closing of the RAF Sgts Mess. All the 3 Gp Officer's Mess Silver was on display. All the Very Senior NCOs from the USAF were invited. The meal was brilliant. The CMC had to bollock some of the USAF members for smoking before The Loyal Toast. Then he rose to propose The Loyal Toast, after drinking that, and the CMC remaining standing, he then proposed a toast to "The President of the United States". The USAF members present were totally and utterly gobsmacked. Most of them had never seen Air Force (of whoever's nation) ceremonial carried out with such precision and dedication. I was proud to have been a (civilian) member of that Mess.
    Find out where The Central Messing Fund is?
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 5th February 2010 at 17:40. Reason: spelling
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

If anyone is interested I believe the Royal Navy have a similar stash somewhere in Postsmouth with all the silver from decommissioned ships. I don't think that the exact venue of these depositories is advertised too well for obvious reasons... see the heavy SWAG bag.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hello Ross, Peter, James,

Thank you for the information.

The reason for my inquiry was through a visit to 76 (R) Squadron yesterday speaking about my research into 76 when the subject of mess/squadron silver came up. Now that the Air Navigation School at Linton-on-Ouse has been redesignated No 76 (Reserve) Squadron they are quite understandably eager to hunt down any surviving silver. It would be great to find a location for the 'central messing fund'/RAF vault of treasure? I added the question about the colours myself as I never knew or had forgotten.

Regarding the mess traditions - I'd loved to have seen the faces of those Americans! I once was 'Mr Vice at Akrotiri (white tropical mess dress etc) as I got the impression from remarks that I'd done a good job, I prepared to boast that one for a beer ....but then passed the port the wrong way round and all assembled gave a howl of gasping horror. As a result, I became bankrupt buying a massive round of drinks then thrown in the pool fully dressed!

I will never forget those days from a bygone age, it was like leaving a palace for the stables when I retired. I often think about those fine traditions I witnessed and wonder if health and safety gremlins have crept in. I guess you will know what I mean Peter.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 5th February 2010 at 19:52. Reason: ammending line three

Thanks

Hi All

I was told at some point that all squadron silver and memorabilia was sent to the RAF Depository at Wroughton MU, but I assume it has been moved since then.

Malcolm