Thread: Ditching drill

Thanks

Default Ditching drill

Can anyone tell me what the drill was for ditching in a Hampden?

Also does anyone know when Hampden's went from using a dinghy stowed inside the aircraft to one that was stowed behind port engine? I have read of earlier ones being inside and photos of a triangular design. Later ones seem to be stowed behind the engine and are round.
    Any info greatly appreciated
    James

Thanks

Sorry! I have the ditching and dinghy drills for the lancaster, but not for the Hampden. What I will say is the drills I have do not have pictures or any description on the shape of the dinghy. They are entirely typewritten (mimeographed) and only describe each crewman's duties.

Jim

Thanks

Dear Jim
    Thank you for your reply. I had seen a version of the Lancaster drill on Bob Baxter's site though it sounds as though it is different to yours. I never thought there would be any images but as you say it would give the location of crewmembers. I am particularly interested in where the two lower members of the Hampden crew would go as I would imagine that their positions would be underwater very qickly in the event of ditching. I suspect that the perspex in the Navigators position would cave in instantaniously, while the lower gunner would have a big hole to let the water in there too.
    The question regarding shape and location of dinghys arose from various training photographs I have seen over the years.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Cannot help with anything specific to Hampdens, but it is my recollection that "Air Diagrams" (not to be confused with "Air Publications") on the subject of ditching and dinghy instructions were frequently displayed in Briefing or Crew rooms and were of large format (We would call them "Posters" these days). They often show up in the background of photographs taken during WW2. They were sometimes reproduced in reduced size in the Pilots' Notes for the relevant aircraft, but not often. I thenk the RAF Museum, etc, have examples of many of the "Air Diagams", which were intended for instructional purposes, or as a handy reminder to relevant personnel.
    David D

Thanks

Dear David
    Thank you for the tip. I will contact Hendon and see what they have. Having the correct title of something makes the hunt a lot easier.
    Best wishes
    James