Thread: "Sunrise" loss on Exeter's airfield

Thanks

Default "Sunrise" loss on Exeter's airfield

ORB of Exeter states:

"Sunrise" operation took place today.(...) Towards late afternoon some of the bombers damaged in the raid landed here. 3 Wellingtons and a Hampden. One of the Wellingtons had to make a belly landing which was magnificently done, but one of it's crew was so badly wounded he died later in hospital. The station fire tender, Ambulance, doctor and padre were on the spot almost before the Wellington stopped".

I couldn't find this loss in Chorley's book. Does anyone know who was this poor guy. Also I would like to know some details of those Wellingtons and Hampden, actually which squadron they were from?

Regards

Thanks

Peter,

From my old copy of PRO docs - CODE NAMES. 'SUNRISE' - Daylight raid on 'Scharnhorst' at La Pallice and 'Gneisenau' at Brest (7/41). Probably 24-7-1941.

Could this be your man?

937441 Sgt Thomas Frederick EBRILL RAF + 24-7-1941 No.104 Sqn. Commemorated Panel 1. Stoke-on-Trent Crematorium.

ROYAL AIR FORCE - Died of Wounds or Injuries Received in Action .

Sgt T. F. Ebrill

Flight, Sept 4, 1941. p.140

See also:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17698

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th February 2010 at 01:53.

Thanks

Thanks!

Peter

Thanks

Dear Peter
    Both Hampden's lost on the raid of 24 / 7 / 41 were from 44 squadron. Maybe their ORB may show an aircraft landing at Exeter? Was this the date for the "Sunrise"?
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

I've for EBRILL: Killed on board of a Wellington by an attacking fighter. Death registered Exeter. Pilot of the stricken Wellington was S/Ldr H. BUDDEN - 37275 (later PoW on Wellington W5461 of 104 Sqn - raid on Berlin).

Henk.

Thanks

Apologies Peter
    AD962 was from 44 squadron, while AE225 was from 144 Squadron

Thanks

Thank you guys for all your help. I went to Ebrill’s story via previous thread and attached link.
    So here we are: one option says that Ebrill was taken to the hospital where he died, the second one that he was already dead on board.
    There is also another question mark regarding ‘’Sunrise” operation. Foreman’s “Victory Claims” states that after this operation 501 Squadron claimed as follows: S/Ldr Boyd 2-0-0 and F/Lt Lacey 2-0-0, whilst ORB of 10th Group states that 501 Sqn claimed three 109s and two others collided in the air.
    I’ll be grateful if someone can put some light on it.
    Regards

Thanks

Default Thomas Frederick Ebrill

Hello, Thomas Frederick Ebrill is my grand uncle and I believe I am the closest living relative. It's only through doing my family tree that I have got this far. I would be very grateful of any more information anyone has on him. I have read the fascinating report on the BBC war stories but I read that there is uncertainty on exactly when he died. I;m so pleased to see that he has not been forgotten I only wish I knew of him earlier. Thank you

Thanks

Iain (hope that's correct),

As his nearest living blood relative you should be able to obtain your grand-uncle's service details from the RAF disclosure section. For details go to http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html .

Brian

Thanks

It's helen! I can't believe I only just came across your reply today I was sure I had checked before with no luck. Thank you Brian