Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casualties on Ramrod 1314 to Nijmegen, 5 Oct 1944

Thanks

Default Casualties on Ramrod 1314 to Nijmegen, 5 Oct 1944

Two casualties were sustained on Ramrod 1314, bombing troop concentrations north of Nijmegen on 5 Oct 1944.

One was a bomber, hit by Flak, that crash-landed in Belgium, and the other a pilot of 165 Squadron, who landed at Antwerp.

Could someone please identify the two aircraft in question, and name their crews and fates, please?

The 11 ORB Appendix names the 165 Squadron pilot as Fg Off Porich, but the name appears to be incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello Steve,

No match in Bomber Command Losses 1944 by Bill Chorley. "2nd T.A.F. volume 2" by Christopher Shores & Chris Thomas offers two possibilities :

Boston IIIA BZ318 OA-L of No. 342 Squadron (aka "Lorraine"), hit by Flak (Arnhem) crash-landed Boort, around 10 o'clock. Crew was made of F/O A. Flament, Sgt R. Schloss (KIA), Sgt J. Berneron and Sgt J. Bernaudon (injured).

Mosquito VI HR193 OM-O of No. 107 Squadron, failed to return (Holland), around 2230 hrs, F/Os C.G. Tapson and F.W. Batterbury evaded capture.

The former is a more likely candidate and I'm sure others would confirm.

Joss

Thanks

Hi chaps,

I agree with Joss - the first one is a more likely candidate owing to the circumstances of loss and also the time - if I am right Ramrods were mostly day operations?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Steve

There definitely was a F/Off Vito Porich on 165Sqn at this time but I have no details of the Spitfire he landed at Antwerp.

Steve

Thanks

Steve have your tried the Spitfire production list?
    You can find the known planes attached to 165 Sq at http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/squadrons.htm and then check their fate at http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/production.htm.

I tried the bath I think would be with 165Sq in 1944 but no luck...

Pavel

Thanks

Hello Pavel,

If I understand well, the Spitfire of No. 165 Squadron landed at Antwerp, more or less intact. So not a loss, not written off and such cases have barely a mention in "Spitfire the history" or its internet counterpart.

I recently came across a fatal accident with a Spitfire, pilot was killed in the crash, but the Spitfire was repaired and flew again. I just couldn't find a Spitfire lost on that day ! I got the serial number from the Air Historical Branch, as the unit's ORB didn't even mention this loss ! No mention of this accident in the book and the next step will be to ask for the accident card and form 1180 to the R.A.F. museum Hendon.

In this case, I'm afraid only a look at the Squadron ORB might give details. A pity there's no ORB for continental airfields (I mean in France, Belgium and Netherlands in 1944-45) (AIR 28 series at Kew) as there is for the airfields in U.K. (not counting the "permanent" bases overseas).

Joss

Thanks

I agree Ross - I had not the info about the landing that it was not so bad.
    So it will be quite difficult to find, only the ORB may give us the info - if recorded.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Joss, Pavel and Steve

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Joss - I think the Boston III fits perfectly. The operation consisted of 48 Mitchells and 24 Bostons, and the T.O.T. was 09:25-09:31, so "around 10 o'clock" fits, too.

Steve - Thanks for the confirmation of Vito Porich. I couldn't find reference to the name on Google (I only had the surname and no forename or initial), in the LG, or on the CWGC site.

Unfortunately, I'm running a bit blind at the moment, as my furniture is still in a container between London and Brisbane, and it contains all of my books and other reference material. They were packed up on 27 November and look like they will take a full three months to get to Australia and cleared through customs and quarantine - about twice as long as I expected!

As such, does anyone have a copy of Franks' FCL, that might show Porich's landing? The 11 Group ORB Appendix for the operation only states "F/O. Porich (165) believed landed ANTWERP" - this is all I have to go on.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve

Porich’s logbook confirms he landed at Antwerp in Spitfire Mk.IXB, SK-E (although no serial listed, this could be MK753 according to the Spitfire Production website). It seems he had trouble with visibility and could not find his airfield. Porich then organised motor transport to Brussels. The following day, October 6th, he returned to Antwerp and flew ‘E’ back - “Antwerp – Base: 00:45” . SK-E was flown again by Porich during October on 14th & 17th. During a Ramrod on the 17th he returned with engine trouble to Manston. On the 18th returned to base and 25th flew engine and landing tests. SK-E became a regular aircraft for Porich during much of December (mainly tests and local flights). During a routine flight to Detling on the 18th the hood flew off! Last flight in Spitfire E was 14th January 1945 - recorded as a local flight. It was intended to be his last trip in a Spit pending conversion to Mustangs, however he logged two more flights (non-ops) in a 118 Sqn Mk.IXA on the 17th. When 165 Sqn were sent to Norway for occupational duties at war's end his logbook indicates a new SK-E - this time a Mk.IXE.

Regards, Drew

Thanks

Hello,

Rawling's, Fighter Squadrons of the RAF (p.301), confirms a No.165 Sqn Spitfire IX MK753, coded SK-E. Of course, there could be others.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th February 2010 at 00:29.